Shamefully, this is my very first "real" canning experience. I've always wanted to preserve with my mommy so I've been resisting the whole activity—it is a mother daughter experience I've wanted to have. However, the distance is too far and the visits too infrequent. I decided to do it myself before I let too many opportunities pass me by. (Adam had his first experience with a pressure cooker last week, his mom told him how and he canned his raggu.)
So, like a greenie I purchased ALL the canning supplies, water bather, jar gripper thingy, rings, lids, jars. The checkout lady thought I was going to make a giant pot of soup with the water bather. Nope, that's not what this is.
Next, I put on my retired splunking/painting/ and now canning outfit because I always get messier than the average person.
(Found peaches at .49 cents a pound, I think that's good. Is that good?)
Started the canning movie. Check.
Blanching, pealing, mashing, adding spices and just a little sugar, I reduced those peaches to a sticky, heavenly smelling, spluttery mess. (No pectin needed for peach butter because it reduces until very thick on its own...for about 5-6 hours in my case.)
Proudly filling eight jars, I gave them their hot boiling water bath, and as they cooled I confidently listened to each fulfilling "pop" of the lids as they sealed. We love peach butter on fresh pancakes and can vividly see this in our near future.





Can I say my wife is the bomb?!? I'm lucky to have such a talented and adventurous woman.
ReplyDeleteI deleted a comment from my husband to yours. You can imagine the content. While very funny, I assume you don't want things of that color posted on your blog... :)
ReplyDeleteYou look ridiculously cute in that getup and I think it's hilarious that you make that big of a mess that you need it. :)
The butter looks delicious! Can't wait to try it.
Looks awesome! I still haven't learned how to can. I told my mom THIS IS THE YEAR she has to teach me. I think that is a most excellent canning movie by the way. :)
ReplyDeletewow! that looks so fun! wish i could have done it with you. way to go. i bet it is soooooooooooooo good!
ReplyDeletePeach butter. Sounds deliciously delightful!!! Way to go, taking matters into your own hands!! And might I add - you are so pretty! :)
ReplyDeleteHave I ever told you I think you're adorable? No? Well, then... I think you're adorable.:)
ReplyDeleteI've never had peach butter. I want to try that someday. It definitely sounds yummy.
I love that you own cover-alls for projects! That is brilliant! :) Along with canning supplies, I may have to get me some of those! haha The peach butter sounds HEAVENILY!
ReplyDeleteHeavenly... geez can I spell? haha
ReplyDeleteTotally my canning movie! You'd think we would have learned to do this with our moms. Why is it after we're grown we try to learn these things? But looks delicious. If I didn't have so many peaches and jam from last year, I'd jump on that butter.
ReplyDeletemmmmm.... I might have to put this on the jam list for this year! I wish we lived close enough, I'd totally trade you :)
ReplyDelete