Had me a birthday last month; turned 33. I asked that we do something simple and cheap. Our friends couldn't come—which was a HUGE bummer—so we planned on going to a little museum and dinner just the two of us. (Yes, I know, that t-shirt makes me a #1 nerd...but seriously—Bring Firefly Back.)
Then we got there and he wanted hang out in the gift shop instead of starting the tour. Wierd. But I went with it. Then someone smacked me in the rear! I couldn't believe it. My friends had come! They had been planning it all along. Now, Adam can't keep secrets so this is a big deal. That's twice now he has surprised me with my friends.
So into the museum we went! The artist on display was Kenneth Price 1935-2012. He has had acclaimed shows in LA, New York, and Europe.
We enjoyed looking at some strange, blobby, liquidy....thingies.
And decided to do some odd things ourselves in the sculpture garden. Adam says Dafni and I were acting weird all day. But honestly...I think we were behaving more "normal" than than not. Being with good friends will do that to you. But speaking for myself, I was on a happy high and had a REALLY ENJOYABLE day. I am grateful to have a friend who is just as...(insert adjective) as I am.
And we saw more strange, moderny, rockish space objects by the same artist. I think if I were an alien I'd like to live in one of these.
We made some surreal art of our own.
I love my groupies. Like, a lot.
Then off to Twisted Root Burger—found only in Texas my friend. It is my new favorite burger place and you will be subjected to it if you visit. They feature toasted buns, seasoned meat (and offer weird meat like kangaroo), house ketchups and other sauces—which are so good you could drink, and house root beer and lemonade flavors. We've had butterscotch root beer and walnut root beer. Nom Nom. I have always liked hamburgers but don't order them often. So I am grateful everyone else was willing to eat unhealthy with me that day!
Next came candles and singing at La Madeline. I picked three treats (because three looks good on a plate—sorry can't squelch the designer in me) but also because I'm 33. That means I get three of everything now right?
After dessert our friends treated us to The Great Gatsby, which we enjoyed. (Leonardo was cute in that little tea scene wasn't he?) Thank you friends!
That was the end of a VERY good day. The following morning was my actual birthday day. I wanted to get a good picture to document what 33 looks like on me. So a nice afternoon visit to the botanical gardens and a camera click later, there we have it.
Artist Photo and credits: http://glasstire.com/2013/02/21/interview-stephanie-barron-curator-of-ken-price-sculpture-at-the-nasher/ 1. http://www.ocregister.com/articles/price-373010-lacma-works.html 2. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/07/arts/design/07price.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0 3. http://fdluxe.dallasnews.com/2013/01/lifetime-achievement-minus-the-guest-of-honor.html/ 4. http://www.lacma.org/art/exhibition/ken-price-sculpture-retrospective 5. http://butdoesitfloat.com/There-were-too-few-of-us-We-didn-t-have-access-to-enough-drugs-Not 6. http://androphilia.tumblr.com/post/31224998967/jesuisperdu-ken-price-the-pinkest-and-the 7. http://butdoesitfloat.com/There-were-too-few-of-us-We-didn-t-have-access-to-enough-drugs-Not 8. http://craftcouncil.org/post/masterful-monograph-ken-price-sculpture















You're absolutely beautiful inside and out. I'm so glad you enjoyed your Birthday so much. Miss you.
ReplyDeleteUmmm.... 33 looks FABULOUS on you. (I don't normally capitalize words like that, but I really felt the need to in this particular instance.) Seriously, you are gorgeous. So glad you had a good day.
ReplyDeleteThat was seriously one of my favorite days, ever. LOVE YOU GUYS!!
ReplyDeleteBahaha I keep coming back to look at our posing pictures. We are awesome.
ReplyDeleteAnna!! First happy birthday again -- I'm sure I said so on Facebook, but HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! Beautiful photos, especially that last one -- 33 definitely looks great on you!! ;) And I miss you so much. I really want to come do a foodie museum tour with you!!! I might be able to now that my brother will be living in Oklahoma for the next three years. Love ya cutie and I am so glad you had a great birthday!!
ReplyDelete