Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Gettin' Greeky

I am procrastinating doing my business taxes, and to show you how BADLY I don't want to do them I am going to blog about our family themed dinner from LAST YEAR. Let's get GREEKY!

In the movies at least, it seems Grecians are pretty proud, showing their flag colors everywhere—what Greeks! We took our cues from Hollywood and pulled out the blues and stripes for decorating.

Dad and I spent a few hours looking up Greek recipes. Here are the ones we decided on because they were actually in English:
Lamb Kabobs with Tzatziki Sauce—click for the 5 star recipe. (Little 1.5 year old Malaika was so cute walking around saying "Tzatziki!") Bread and a 10 ingredient salad that Hayden's parents brought were also served as sides. (I don't remember the name of the salad or I'd post a link…Dad?)

As a main dish we had Pastitsio—Click here for the 5 star recipe.  Warm and filling. My photo does not do it justice. It's cheesy, creamy, the meat is lamb with just a hint of cinnamon. I had forgotten about it until now. I think I might have to make it sometime soon.

We tried to find a Greek drink for the family but of course the only drinks listed online were wines. However, upon my searching I found an article that said, "When Greeks get thirsty they drink water." Boom! Done. Dad bought sparkling water—no one liked it.

Some of the ingredients were ultimately impossible to find. But with a couple of substitutions it still turned out! It's worth giving a try and then tasting it to see how you would tweak it.




3 comments:

  1. I don't want to do business taxes EITHER! (Quarterly?? Seriously.) Your house looks like much more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know right? Quarterly is awful…however, if you make under a certain amount you can start doing it just yearly. (I can't remember what that is…I got a letter from the state telling me I could start doing it yearly though. Which was nice—but now I don't stay on top of my book keeping! Lazy me!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO MUCH FUN!!! That food looks delicious and I love all the fun things your family does. :)

    ReplyDelete