1987 happened! Duh! Or is it "No Der?"
It was a big year...disposable contact lenses became available, so did prozac. We enjoyed the sophistication of Star Trek the Next Generation as well as entertainment of a different kind from the Simpsons. I had fun researching noteworthy events for a trivia game (whilst jamming out to 80s tunes) a couple weeks ago.
Last Saturday three wards (church groups) in our stake (region) came together to celebrate their 30th Anniversary. Because I am an introvert and go BLANK (ugh) when I have to talk to people...I don't much care for a potluck gatherings unless some other activity is involved to get things more lively.
So, as the new Cruise Director (Ward Activity Specialist)...I suggested a 1980s trivia game in conjunction with the potluck. It took me about six hours to research and format the questions so they'd be interesting and interactive. And it was worth it! We received quite a bit of positive feedback so I think it went well.
From where I was standing some people absolutely freaked out in excitement about several of the questions (could definitely tell who the Trekkies were.) So I wanted to share the game so you can use it for your next very large gathering. Click here.
How to:
The game will work for any amount of people—just divide them into teams.
It does seem to be more fun with a crowd. Playing it with a small group of people just doesn't have the same energy level.
We prepared for 360 people and thought dividing them into 8 teams would be manageable. Each group received a gallon paint stick with a colored piece of paper attached to wave in the air and shout out if they had the answer. I took score according to their color. (I printed off a sheet with colored boxes on it, if the team got a point, they got a tick mark next to their color. Easy.)
It's helpful to have a handsome MC can run the game while a lovely assistant takes score and helps with parts of the game. (Or vice versa.)
Enjoy!
Note: Don't use noise makers—like a bell or horn to honk to answer. It doesn't work in a crowd. We tried. Also, since our teams had 4 tables per team, I do wish we'd provided a colored stick per table instead of only one per team.

No comments:
Post a Comment