Saturday, September 28, 2019

This Way to Stone Mountain

While we were in Georgia (getting help after I was floxed) Adam and I took advantage of the no-treatment-weekends and decided to see what the area had to offer. And behold...the massive, barren, Stone Mountain!

Google reveals the following about the mountain: "Stone Mountain is a city near Atlanta, Georgia. It’s a gateway to Stone Mountain Park, named for the vast monolith at its center."
Below is the view from the Summit Skyride cable car...the view was so other worldly. I would love to see this as a location for a photoshoot or some really creative music video, or maybe the setting for a temporary art installation!

A hiking trail also leads to the peak. Many people chose to hike it, and I would have enjoyed doing so as well. But sadly, one of the memories tied to this place is of the amount of pain I was in, I couldn't even carry my purse that day. So I was happy to be deposited at the top of the mountain for a pocket full of money.

(Actually, I just looked it up. Some movies WERE filmed at the park! Check it out.)

Etched into the rock’s side, the Confederate Memorial Carving depicts Civil War generals Stonewall Jackson and Robert E. Lee, plus President Jefferson Davis. According to atlanathistorycenter.com "The effort to create a Confederate monument on Stone Mountain began in the 1910s. Yet, the monument was only completed in 1972. Spanning multiple efforts across more than 50 years, the carving’s history is full of twists and turns."

Here's a 30 min. video if you want to know more about the history of the controversial carvings. (Or just tune in for the first minute to see a better picture of the largest confederate monument in the world.)

I hear when the sun goes down, a light show begins and is projected right on the face of the stone. If you're ever near Atlanta, it's worth a detour.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment