Friday, December 20, 2019

Project: Advent

Purposefully skipping over the last several months (because I’m NOT ready to relive events to write about them yet) I bring to you a more current event...
An Advent Calendar Project!

Every year we, the Relief Society Presidency, like to give a small Christmas gift to the women at church after a short holiday program. But this year nothing sounded right, especially at only $1.00 per person.

I looked to the topic “Preparing Our Hearts for Christ” for ideas. And in doing so, landed on making January advent calendars. We would create something that might help the women remember and carry out the challenge in the new year. Each little tag contains a quote, scripture, or a small task for the person reading it.

When I presented the idea to the presidency they all LOVED it. We knew however, the creation of such beauties would require a lot of work—to which we agreed would be worth it. (An agreement we had to remind ourselves of when we realized each one was going to take almost an hour to assemble. To say nothing of the time it took to prepare each element for assembly. We made 35.)

I wish I’d taken a picture of my living room while the crafting was going on. It was a fun mess. And all the completed mobiles were hanging on anything we could find to hold them.

To transport the mobiles to church I did this which worked out splendidly:
And decorate the room, I cut more branches to stick into jars and gathered nuts from the PLETHORA that fell out of our tree this year. We cut extra hearts to hang and sprinkle on the tables.

And lucky us...the ceiling was such that we could lift the tiles and hook each mobile to the metal grid.  YESSSS!
It’s hard to capture in a photo, but the room was cute and had a fun vibe. The women LOVED the decorations and advents and enjoyed picking out which one they wanted.
It was so pleasing to receive such a positive reaction to the mobiles, it made the hours of tying and folding and punching and cutting completely worth it! And I hope what’s written inside each tag is valuable in helping each woman strengthen her personal relationship with and understanding of the Lord.
Now...what do we do next year?!

No comments:

Post a Comment