Sunday, February 11, 2024

Prayers and Pledges

 After having a powwow with Adam, we decided to recommit to dating and it's been lovely. We've divided up weeks put them on the calendar. If one of us misses a date, it doesn't change anything on the schedule. 

Adam took us to the Fort Worth Rodeo a couple of weeks ago. And I mainly write about this because there are two things I LOVE about the rodeo.


 

1. There's a prayer to start things off.
Not what you were expecting right? A loud voice comes over the speaker and says,"Ladies and gentlemen, we here in Fort Worth Texas of the United States of America celebrate our freedom of religion. Please join us in this right by participating an opening prayer offered by _______."

This makes me emotional every single time. Does the person offering the prayer belong to my particular church? No. But am I grateful for the right I have and they have to practice religion? Yes! And so, if I want to support you, and him and her in this right because I want to be supported in mine...you better believe I will be reverent as that freedom is practiced, out in the open, by pastor so-and-so who is offering the prayer. And if I agree with what has been said—you will hear an "amen" out of me. And if not, I don't have to say a word.

Furthermore, a few years ago—I heard the BEST prayer, hands down, at the beginning of the rodeo. It was EVERYTHING a prayer can be in my opinion. It was hopeful, thankful, and humble in request...It made me realize how important religion is to me, how much I believe God hears us, and how thankful I am for that belief and how it has shaped my life. (It also made me realize my own prayers could be better.)

2. We say the pledge of allegiance.
I live in the United States of America and I will NOT apologize for the freedoms I enjoy here. I will be forever grateful for those who have sacrificed so I can enjoy freedoms and basic rights. I am glad for the opportunity to express my gratitude and allegiance. 

So, when we attend the rodeo—I am reminded of the things I truly DO like about Texas and I am proud to live here.

No comments:

Post a Comment