Saturday, January 31, 2026

Learning American Mahjong

After seeing super cute tiles online and wondering what game they belonged to, I discovered American Mahjong (the American version is actually spelled Mahjongg with two gs but it looks terribly weird.) I asked for a set of tiles for Christmas, but they come with no instructions and Dwynne and I couldn't figure out how to play. So we came up with a version similar to Rummikub.

Marla knew some women who could teach us, so she invited them to her home and they taught us the PROPER way, complete with a history of the game! And no, it's not what you've been playing on your phone. 


I was intimidated at first, and the rules seemed complicated but after some practice with Adam and friends, I think I can hold my own. Now I understand the addiction. (There are SO MANY cute sets out there. I would love to design a few. Where was this game when I was in college and had to re-design an actual game???)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment