Thursday, October 22, 2009

NaNoWriMo

Founder of NaNoWriMo, Chris Baty suggests all you need is a pen and a clean pair of underwear to begin a deadline driven literary marathon experience. What am I talking about? A national novel writing frenzy that takes place within 30 days. Rules: 50,000 words in one month (That's about 175 pages). No pre-writing allowed; it's by the seat of your pants.


It's called National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo). Which month would that be? November. It's almost here. Should I join? I can't decide. The timing is perfect and this creatively whacked idea appeals to me on some level. Click here for details, it's not too late to join.

(Dwynne, my sister, pointed me to this and she's going to do it. Adam on the other hand, is running in the opposite direction.)

Need some extra encouragement? I picked up this book to see what Chris Baty had to say. It took only a few hours to read the first half of this very entertaining book. The second half is meant to be read week by week to help writers overcome their noveling woes.



Who knows? You may end up producing some National Best Seller that gets a ton of movie offers, thus spurring a demand for a sequel, changing and influencing our culture as we know it! Or you may just discover you never want to write a novel again. At least you'll know.

3 comments:

  1. Anna, you're so creative I'm sure that you could come up with something and it would be AMAZING!! And if you do decide to do it, make sure and send the story to me. I love reading, and I'm the best critic, because I'm sure to tell you I love it. So do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun idea - you should totally jump in there and give it a try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. can't turn out any worse than Twilight...he he.

    ReplyDelete