Monday, October 11, 2010

Gold Laurel Leaves...

We've been working on a family wedding around here. (You should see my kitchen. Eeek. I just can't face the dishes. But Adam washed the frosting off the floor—oh how I love him.) 

For the wedding this last weekend, I was asked to do the cake. It was my first and last wedding cake I think. A wedding is too much pressure for little me. But that being said, I still had fun.
The design is mainly derived from a Martha Stewart cake with a couple of tweaks. Normally I would have designed the cake but the family liked this one, so I went with it. I will take credit for all the work though!
There were two flavors, a pumpkin chocolate chip nut, and a really moist chocolate. I mean moist. Both from scratch. I don't believe in boxed cake...if you can even call it cake.

The frosting is butter-cream. The laurel leaves are made from gum paste sprayed with an edible gold spray and the little decorative ribbon is made of royal icing—both were made a few weeks ahead of time.

The cakes were displayed all together, in front of three vintage doors and mirrors. I knew they would come in handy! (Another photo is in the next post.)
8 hours of baking and 12 hours of decorating later...we ended up with a gorgeous cake set. I think the two accompanying cakes really help finish off the look and would recommend it again. (I would also recommend the grooms cake have its own display so the two “looks” don’t compete.)

5 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful and amazing!!! :) And the flavors.... wow!! Can you share those recipes?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Anna, this is a beautiful cake!! You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! Is it just me or do I sense a Roman theme? That is AWESOME! :) You are so talented...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Allisa, it's just you :) Especially if you look at it with its accompanying cakes. Try...vintage.
    (Although, I can see where you are coming from with the laurel leaves.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anna, this is amazing! I love seeing all of your many creative outlets!

    ReplyDelete