Thursday, August 25, 2011

Buckets of Paint...Literally

Before moving, I had been quickly mocking up different colors for the kitchen. And was really enjoying something along these lines.
So we tried it a week before moving in. And REALLY hated it. The color was a gray with a slight purple tone to it but the lighting really drew out the purple. It was horrible. No. Breathtakingly awful.
So then, in a panic Adam said "let's paint it light yellow. It's a failsafe color." Which we did. And STILL hated it. At this point craziness set in. The kitchen had been FULLY painted TWICE and we were running out of time and money.
Next step? Try as many sample colors as possible! *Anna says this in a frenzied quick tone with her arms wildly swinging about in the air above her head.
We landed on a color that the kitchen had been asking for all along. Here's a before so you can clear your mind of the mess I just dumped in it...
Ahhh. Feels better nay? This is a golden yellow called "Summer Field." It brightens up the dark kitchen and the yellow light from the bulbs don't clash with it. And a "cottage white" covers the rest of the room. The bonus...it looks great with the silvery gray of our new fridge and other appliances.
Not a designer kitchen...but much more livable. Even with a carpeted bar, sagging shelves, and drawers that fall out....
 An added perk? There are so many layers of paint on the wall that the ugly texture is sort of filled in. *Anna ducks her head sheepishly.

6 comments:

  1. hahaha... :) I think it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me smile Anna! I've been there!! :) It looks nice now - I hate oak, so I can't say I love it but it certainly looks peaceful and is much happier space!! Great job and I'm glad you shared your process!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything you touch turns to lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is hilarious..I think I remember you saying you painted it blue but the picture def brings way more to the story. Don't worry I painted 3 coats on a wall once before finding the RIGHT yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Phases of the Moons' kitchen...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aah! The drama of home "kinda" ownership. I feel your pain. Of course, what you guys have done is lovely.

    ReplyDelete