Monday, February 6, 2012

Weekend Consolations

The split in the vinyl of our car console has been bugging Adam for a while. He's researched different repairs and has even tried a special black glue that is meant to hide and stop the rips from getting worse. It didn't work.

So, one weekend he decided to reupholster it himself! Before I could stop him he had the console out and taken apart. So here's a step by step in case your spouse decides to take your car apart.

Below, the console lid with the vinyl taken off.
Next unpick the old vinyl.
The pieces are used as patterns to trace and then cut out new vinyl. (Material easy to find at any fabric store.)


Next, have your wife do the sewing because for some reason you are afraid of the sewing machine.
Be sure to use an upholstery needle and thread. Test your tension on a scrap piece first. I needed mine all the way up to 9.
This is what it looks like wrong side out after the pieces are sewn together.

When it's turned right side out, you'll need to do a stay stitch to help the vinyl keep its shape and stay flat at the seams.
A regular sewing machine does alright, but I found that the teeth didn't grab the vinyl very well so I had to do a lot of pulling, which makes the stitching come out uneven. Oh well.
Next stretch and glue your new cover over the console.

Now, the manufacturers used a very strong double sided tape. We tried to find a similar tape that was strong enough, no luck. So we used E-6000 glue which worked fantastically. (Do not use: super glue, hot glue, crazy glue, Super 77, these will not work for the parameters of this project and your fingers will get fused together.)
Put the console back together and install in your car—then pose with a smoldering look...it will make the console look even sexier.
Total cost about $16.00 (this number includes the purchase of the vinyl, glue, upholstery needle and thread). Total to have a professional do it...about $90.00 on the cheap end.

5 comments:

  1. Woo! How impressive! Way to go. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So totally impressed that you and Adam were able to repair this!! Great instructions too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how industrious you are. Work that sewing machine, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice!! Adam looks totally pleased with himself...

    ReplyDelete
  5. The smoldering look totally DOES make it look even better! Haha He definitely does look pleased :)

    Soo it sounds like you're a sewing wiz?? I get really ambitious and think I can make all sorts of things, but really can't. Maybe you can teach me :)

    ReplyDelete