Friday, May 9, 2014

New Beginnings: Girl On Fire

This is cross posted and can be pinned from HERE.

We've had so much going on this year with the youth that our New Beginnings didn't happen until just a few weeks ago. The Laurels were in charge this time, so I texted one of them and asked her for ideas. She came to one of our presidency meetings to share her thoughts and it was a go!
She was great to work with—she found decoration and dessert ideas and sent them to me which I was able to plug into a detailed agenda for the the evening events—and from there we delegated the things that needed to happen.

Here are the invitations. (It's great to have something like this to mail to the less active girls.)

Our Laurel Advisor put the dessert table together.

She even made signs for the refreshments…and used the font from the books! Fist bump!

The girls made fireball pom poms (my family calls them poofers),
and the garland.

In keeping with the color on black theme, the girls painted these value posters (below). They shared with us how the values keep their spiritual flame burning.

And of course we used correct vocabulary like:
Values = Districts
Girls presenting = Tributes
One girl received her YW of Excellence Award that night so she was the = Victor

And sang songs like: The Spirit of God like a fire is burning….and The Lord is My Light.

The whole evening was such fun. The Stake Young Women presidency attended and I overheard compliments from them several different times. I LOVE that it was all headed up and started with one of the young women. I enjoy finding out what they want to do and the pride on their faces when it all comes together.

A shout out to the young lady in the middle. She's been a STELLAR young woman. She's the only active Laurel and she's been AWESOME. She has an unbelievably positive and patient attitude toward the other girls. I KNOW the other young women look to her as an example—this girl is the kind of person even adults want to be friends with. I will miss her when she goes off to college in a few months. (And she's the one who came up with this idea! She truly is a Girl On Fire.)

2 comments:

  1. Sooooo creative and clever!!! Love all the ideas!! Nice to see a photo of you too -- I miss you and I love your hair style in that pic!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooooo creative and clever!!! Love all the ideas!! Nice to see a photo of you too -- I miss you and I love your hair style in that pic!! :)

    ReplyDelete