To start, dinner was almost a fail. I wanted to try a spot based on its good Yelp reviews. But it was empty during dinner time and the menu offered bar food like grilled spam and Frito burgers. Really drunk people? Really? So, with a great deal of embarrassment we excused ourselves and got out of there, hitting Lockhart's Smoke House instead.
Ohhh Yeeaahhh. Order slices of meat by the pound and they'll plop it down on a piece of butcher paper, slam a stack of sliced bread next to it, roll it all up and hand it off to you.
Our carnivorous friend Dafni was quite happy.
After dinner we spent the evening visiting the little shops up and down the street. Hitting places like a Cuban Cigar store where the artisan rolled the cigars at the front window for all to see. (Okay, so we didn't go in—talk about an instant headache.) There are several art stores, gift shops, food, modern furniture shops, and other curiosities to take up your evening. I was particularly interested in a book bindery and letterpress shop. (Both were unexpectedly closed. Sad face. That means we will be going back. Happy face.)
These are from the website. Do you like succulents? I used to think they were ugly and old fashioned…and belonged in Arizona…but they have been growing on me for a few years. I think I might end up getting some of my own.
Emporium Pies is at the end of the street and is identified by the line going out the door and into the street. I love pie. I had it at our wedding. So OF COURSE we waited in that long line, spying on the patrons to see which pie looked best as they emerged with their slice in hand.
I think their branding is lovely. The website is clean with simple photography.
The pies are made by hand and pretty good. I had a berry rhubarb pie. The crust on my pie was a little tough…but perhaps that is not typical and I look forward to trying another flavor.
After pie we explored a bit more and finished up the evening here:
They have some wonderfully complex flavors. Once in the shop you can try little samples of just about everything they have. Although, it's not cheap chocolate my friends. Go in prepared to pay for your addiction.
And that ended our night on Bishop Street. Will we be going back? Yes ma'am.















You had me a meat, pie and chocolate! :) I hope you get to go back soon and check out the bookbindery and letterpress - how fun! :)
ReplyDelete