As per his request we went out for dinner at Texas Roadhouse where he ordered his usual steak and we both chowed down on the rolls—the best ever. I am still attempting to find a good copycat recipe.
While we were there I interviewed him:
Is there anything you've done this year you'd like to do again?
Go trout fishing and hunting.
What are you really good at?
Making people laugh.
What health problems do you have?
My gut is hanging over my belt.
In what ways have you changed in the last three years?
I can't be as aggressive in sports because I hurt longer. I can't eat the same crap as I used to. And I feel like I'm more confident in my job.
What have you done this year that you don't want to do again?
Go to Walmart construction training.
What kind of music are you listening to these days?
Country, 21 Pilots, Grouplove, and Bruno Mars
What book are you in the middle of?
See You at the Top by Zig Zigglar
Who do you look up to or want to emulate?
My Dad and best friend.
What amazes you?
How to this day, that sometimes I look at my wife and am amazed that we are together. It's totally awesome. I just look at her and think, holly crap, she's mine. Best feeling ever.
And on that high note we'll move on.
A few years ago Adam requested a birthday cake with no frosting. And I thought, "How can I make a cake without frosting and have it still taste…interesting?" And then I thought, "Aha! Ganache!" And came up with this DELICIOUS concoction:
The cake is Hershey's Deep Dark Chocolate Cake recipe. I make it the night before and wrap the layers in saran wrap while they are still just barely warm. In my mind it helps the cake retain moisture. I despise most cakes and it's because most cakes are dry (because most cakes come from a box.)
The next day a few hours before we're ready to eat it, I assemble the rest of the cake.
First, the layers get cut in half and chocolate pudding gets spread in between each one and stacked. This year I made the pudding from scratch and had great success. This too helps the cake taste ooey gooey chocolatey in your mouth. Yum.
Then chocolate ganache made from semisweet chocolate gets poured over all the layers. It's not smooth because I don't bother cutting the sides of the cake—which is fine—I don't want to waste any delicious chocolatyness.
Then I whip cream with vanilla, sugar, and a few dashes of cinnamon (which is perfection) and pipe it over the top. And lastly sprinkle Heath bar all over it.
It has been such a GREAT hit, (it's even better the next day coming out of the fridge) that we have given it the permanent title, Adam's Birthday Cake and I'm pretty sure it will be a tradition for the rest of his life. We will eat it at his funeral….which is getting closer.
Lucky birthday boy got sung to twice, the Marlex's came over and then later we took cake to Dafni's house and sang again! (As you can tell, this cake does not travel well—see right photo. But hey.)
Happy Birthday my love.




I love Adam because he loves Anna! And because he's Adam.
ReplyDeleteAwwww.... this is so sweet. And that cake looks amazing. And seriously, make time stop. We can't get older! :)
ReplyDelete