I was a little worried Desert Book would push its name and products all throughout the conference—they were a client of ours when I worked at SHC…oh the stories I can tell—but to my surprise they didn't and I was glad.
Below: Me, Tiffany (who is the first counselor in Young Women…oh, did I mention that I am the Young Women President now? More on that later. Maybe.) Jeanette, she and her husband have a bunch of us over to play cards late at night when the kids are in bed. Lots of food is ALWAYS involved and it's so fun. And then Marla who I've mentioned before.
This year the theme for the conference was "Inevitable Light." I had to go find a good explanation of it because it's a little…complicated. Here is what I found:
…We found this great quote: “For those of us who feel wanting when it comes to talents and gifts, it is encouraging to know that this invitation is not to dazzle others with who we are or what we know. Rather, our light is the Light of the Lord reflected in us as we simply strive to do as He did. (Elder Lawrence Corbridge,Valiant in the Testimony of Jesus Christ)
And then it was clear. Our gifts aren’t about US. They are about HIM. And His Light.
Elder Corbridge goes onto say, “Your light will shine as an inevitable consequence of faithfully choosing to follow the Lord whatever the cost.”
Speakers and entertainment included: Heidi Swinton, Hudson Lights (Music), Elaine Dalton, Terryl & Fiona Givens, Hillary Weeks (music), Emily Watts, S. Michael Wilcox, Tamu Smith & Zandra Vranes, Emily Freeman.
The first day (for me) was a little disappointing. The information was presented in a way I'd already heard. One speaker repeated a message I had actually seen in a video of hers before. But the next day was much better. There was laughing and new knowledge shared. I even received information I've needed about something that's been bothering me for a while—it was inspiring and sweet to receive my answer to say in the least.
Above left (Marla, Tiffany, Jeanette) Above right: (I dared Tiffany to walk up on stage so I could get a picture of her. Brave girl. She's got a little adventure in her. But shame on me for egging her on!)
We left midway through and ate at Potbelly's for lunch. Have you been there? Best chocolate cookies. Good wraps and sandwiches. Here are the place tags Jeanette made for us to keep our seats while we were gone.
It was a good couple of days. I am still surprised these ladies like me enough to have invited me (I'm the quiet one in the group and feel I have little to share because these ladies are SO AMAZING and have so much more life experience than me)…but this little getaway was very nice and they are a pleasure to be around. Maybe I just need to get over my insecurities….
And because I just can't STAND it I have to point out this sign. It was on stage so I was FORCED to look at it the whole weekend. The lettering on the word "light" BOTHERS ME SO BAD! Look at the "t". It's obviously thinner than all the other letters. Someone needs to fix it so my eye can stop twitching!!!





Oh how fun! You have so many wonderful talents...wish you were still in our ward!!
ReplyDeleteSounds like you had a great time! That sign makes my eye twitch too... that "t" is also just slightly lower than the rest of the letters. Design fail for sure!
ReplyDelete