Sea Legs are real. We returned from our first cruise last week (Royal Caribbean) and I still feel as though I am swaying. It's most noticeable when I'm on the treadmill. I must look like a drunk. Speaking of drinks, I'm going through daiquiri withdrawals as well. Life is hard.
As our official celebration for becoming debt free we decided to do something big. We hadn't been on a "real" vacation together, ever. So a cruise fit the ticket. Signing up months in advance and picking a week directly AFTER spring vacation made for a VERY lovely and cheap ride down south.
Above is a photo as the boat is leaving Galveston.
Below, we're walking the platform to get onto the ship. Our friends came with us. Lex says his favorite part of the vacation was the anticipation—here's that moment!
Our first evening and next two days were spent at sea. We played shuffle board.
Card playing was a given whenever we had some "free" time.
Everyone says not to miss the ice dancing. The entertainment on board pulls talent internationally and is better than I was expecting. It's not broadway—but it's broadway's understudy-ish and I enjoyed it.
The food was lovely. Being served was lovely. Not doing dishes was lovely. No grocery shopping was lovely. I want a dining hall with a wait staff and chef when I grow up.
Don't you love Adam's shirt? I almost bought one to match (and alter to fit) so we could be twinsies. I think I will next time. Why not?
Did I say daiquiri withdrawals? Add piƱa colada to my declaration (or confession?).
The guys hung out at the Flowrider a few times (Marla did boogie boarding the last day).
First timers get a little help.
And then they're left on their own. Falling is inevitable.
Adam did get up several times. I captured some handsome shots which make him look very cool, but the expression on his face below is more revealing of his actual experience. I LOVE IT!
Have to end the Flowrider experience with more fruity tropical elixirs from the bar.
Above: At the bow of the ship. The wind was so strong I'm pretty sure if I did a few different poses my clothes would have come off.
Below:There are some creative areas to take photos. "Let's do our debt free scream!"
We spent time on deck as well. Not a lot of sunbathing. Three of us burn too easily. That's okay. I'll sit in the shade, people watch, eat my free ice cream cone(s) and feel quite splendid doing so.
Deck activities included things like: sexiest man contest and world's best belly flop contest.This guy was all in!
In the evening we enjoyed shows and game shows too! I really enjoyed the game shows, they were FUNNY and included members from the audience. *Ahem, Lex* I want to go baaaaaaaaack!
One of my favorite on board activities was looking out at the ocean. It's not a view I get to see everyday.
On the third day there was land!
The port in Falmouth is new and quite lovely. But outside the port, the area is rather the opposite.There is a distinct difference between the "haves" and "have-nots" in Falmouth. We took a tour of historic Falmouth, which was interesting but a little awkward. It felt like we were on the outside looking in on somewhere we had no business being.
This is an old church built over 200 years ago. According to our guide (who was wonderful and had the happiest laugh) it's the tallest building in Falmouth. The locals set up camp all along the front of the building to try and sell anything they can.
The only thing we purchased was at port, we bought two Tortuga Rum cakes. They are waiting in my cupboard for us to eat them.
Surrounding the church are raised graves as seen below—to keep the water out during flooding since Jamaica is at ocean level.
There were several goats hanging out around town. This one found a lovely spot in the graveyard.
Below: A grade school.
Below: Town hall (or courthouse?) and another church.
The tour pulled over at a very small beach area. I'm not sure why, it wasn't anywhere you'd actually go. But everyone got out and walked to the water anyway. It was our first time being down at the ocean since leaving Texas.
A day later we made port at Grand Cayman! It was lovely! Completely opposite of Jamaica. There's a lot of money in Grand Cayman. Adam and I wanted to spend some time at the white beaches. We took a taxi to 7 Mile Beach, rented two chairs and an umbrella and spent about four hours there. (It gets crowded toward the afternoon. More than one cruise ship ports there at a time and the tourists come pouring in.)
This is Grand Cayman from the treadmill on the ship. (Yes, I exercised almost every day. How else does one justify several desserts a day?) I think I could learn to love this view.
None of us could swim deep enough to touch the bottom. Some fish visited us up top. But our guide took our camera's down to the to snap a few shots of other fish. Watching him swim down, down, down, was impressive.
This trip made me realize how very small I am, and how very scary the ocean can be.
If you have never considered a cruise, or if it's not at the top of your list—reconsider. Our tickets were under $400 each (plus tax and tips.) That covers travel, room, food and is a great value for a 7 day sabbatical and little snippets of the world. Just be sure to travel during the off season.
Now I understand all the cruise t-shirts out there, like this one: "I have no cruise control, they just seem to book themselves."
Cruises are more social than not—hey, you're staying on a ship with about 3,000 happy people—so you might as well go with a bunch of friends and make it a really great time!



















































You guys are totally cute. What a great way to celebrate your accomplishment! (And I love your sandals, by the way ;)
ReplyDeleteSo amazing! It looks like a blast and now I want to go!! Ps I haven't seen your hair curly in a long time and you look GORGEOUS with it that way! Love your guts!
ReplyDelete