Monday, April 6, 2015

Yummy Birthday

Dafni's birthday is synonymous with good food. She and Brandon introduced us to EatZi's. It's crammed with food from floor to ceiling. Friday nights are especially awesome as they have quadruple layered pizza ovens working full time. (Why only on Fridays? No idea. The place was PACKED.)
Go to the one in Dallas, it's much bigger and has more variety of food.

Upon walking in you are hit all at once with the sheer variety of great eats: Bakery, Desserts, Grill, Sandwich bar, Cheese bar etc. I forgot my manners and allowed myself to be sucked in and followed my eyes around every corner. Dafni chased me down and told me to wait up. Oopsie.



This is the bakery area. We were told no photos allowed. Shhhhh. Again, why wouldn't someone want free advertising? We are beyond the days of keeping something awesome to yourself. It's not like I can look at their rolls and figure out exactly what ingredients are in it so I can go home and make them myself. Guh. Let people talk about your awesome product people!
There's the cheese bar.

And the pizza! Oh yum. Thin crust, chewy, hot and fresh.
I ordered one with chorrizo and a cilantro avocado sauce. It was delicious…although quite spicy. I wasn't able to finish it, my mouth was burning up and nose leaking everywhere.

Dafni had a lovely custom made sammy from fresh bread. Oh man. It's 8:40 and I haven't eaten yet. Blogging about food isn't such a bright idea right now….
Later, needing something else to do we decided to try out Glazed Donut Works in Deep Ellum. It's right in the middle of the nightlife there—bars, tattoo parlors, small performance stages...If I could describe the general feeling of the area I would say it's a bit crummy, not in a great part of town, lots of graffiti, and it's not "up-and-coming" it looks as though it came and went years ago and is waiting for a second round of "up-and-coming" to begin…but there's also a good sampling of people who hang out there so it's an interesting place to be at night; and maybe slightly scary—except that it's busy and somewhat crowded depending on the venue.
Glazed is a brilliant business. They open at 10 PM and close at 2AM to feed the night life who have "developed" the munchies and want something sweet. The line was long. So SMART!

The donuts are on display in the front window. You don't even go in. You order at a sliding window and they box it up for you and you are sent on your way to eat in the street. We hovered in a well lit doorway of a closed store to try out our little tasties.

Lovely aren't they? I ate two. I had my unfinished spicy pizza to thank for the extra tummy room as well as a four mile run earlier that day.
The sad part…they weren't that good! They weren't fresh. Can you believe it? I was extremely disappointed. Upon further thought I wonder if it's because we were there right at opening, so the batch we ordered could have been leftover from the morning store hours. Next time we should go at 1AM and see if there's a difference.


Thank you for celebrating your birthday with us Dafni!

No comments:

Post a Comment