Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Black Paintings

The Dallas Museum of art presented the largest exhibition of Jackson Pollocks Black paintings, ever. (According to them anyway.) We didn't know about it until some friends invited us. I'm glad not to have missed it.


According to a description on the wall:
Pollock's black paintings were not well received. Of them he wrote to his friend, "I've had a period of drawing on canvas in black...think the non-objectivists will find them disturbing." Pollock's "new technique replaced the many encrusted layers of dripped paint with a more direct relationship between raw canvas support and black enamel, often using a basting syringe to draw directly with the thinned paint."


Gallerist Charles Egan, having seen the show quipped, "Good show Jackson, but could you do it in color?"


I didn't mind the black and white. In fact, many of them I preferred to the paintings in color—as I did not particularly like Pollock's color choices.
The presentation also included a few of his more popular colorful paintings. Below is Adams' favorite.


And this one was mine. I think it's the canvas size. Pollock's large paintings are amazing to stand in front of.


Below was my favorite Black painting.


We'll done Dallas Museum of Art. (And Pollock.)

No comments:

Post a Comment