Adam brings it home in a giant cooler and lets it "bleed" for a few days. When the water drains out clear, it's time to quarter up the pork. (He and his friend are still learning how to make it look pretty. And I have to wash it three times over to be sure no bristles are left behind.)
When this batch was finished the guys shoved EIGHT hog legs into my giant pot. I sent this photo to friend and asked her if she'd like some to make broth. Her response, "No thank you. That looks scary!" So when I offered it to the next friend, I did NOT send a photo to go with my offer.
I took four legs and combined them with water and veggies and a bit of seasoning and boiled it all day.
Then strained it and I let it sit in the fridge for two days so the fat would separate to the top...
...spooned it out...
...and then strained it again and bagged up the broth to freeze.
Pork broth can be very mild so it can take on the flavor of veggie broth, or anything else you pair it with. So far I've made Mexican rice with it and this Sweet Potato Chili recipe as well as a white bean and sausage stew. We have enjoyed all three dishes.
Now it doesn't look scary at all—just delicious. Nothing beats homemade broth.






You're definitely adventurous in the kitchen! I'm with your friend, no thanks.
ReplyDelete