Friday, August 3, 2018

July 4th

Waking up and looking out my window on a national holiday makes me happy. There's always a flag stuck into our lawn by the Boy Scouts of America (a way for the boys to raise funds for activities.) And I enjoy its gentle reminder to be grateful for where and how I live.
On July 4th we went to the church to participate in a potluck breakfast. The night before I'd done just a teeny bit of decorating with balloons on sticks in white vases, tablecloths, balloons on the floor and my giant flag hanging above the food tables. I enjoy finding ways to use this flag given to me years ago. It's a beautiful flag, a casket flag, not printed but pieced together with embroidered stars.
The kids had a blast playing with the balloons which I knew and hoped would happen.

Our Missionaries kindly volunteered to handle the drink table. In all, it was successful with a modest turnout...but with all the different breakfast foods available to make or buy, I am secretly  (but with no judgement) disappointed how many donuts showed up (and no bagels and schmear?!?).
To kick breakfast off we had a short flag ceremony, which I appreciated. The older I get, the more patriotic I get. I was glad to have a reason to put my hand over my heart and declare my loyalty to this nation under God. Is it perfect? Are WE perfect? No. But I hope as we continue to try to do what is right and good and just, (and ask for the Lord's help to know what that is) we will find our way through difficult issues and politics.
And then, because it's melt-your-face-off hot here, Adam and I went shopping for a kiddie pool to put our feet in and I got talked into this:
The Blue Blob. Ugh. It's ugly. But then again, so is our yard right now. So I told the Mr. as long as I can't see it from the living room window...whatever.
 And it's been a fun blob. We look forward to a dip after working outside...if the water isn't too warm of course.
Happy 4th!

No comments:

Post a Comment