It's a modest size with a modest collection. I wouldn't' mind going back.
Especially to look at all the flags and banners. Below are a few things I thought interesting as well.
First, this is a "soldier's Housewife made of linen and contains extra buttons for the uniform, jacket, and trousers. It also carries thread, a hair comb, and a small shaving mirror. Most soldiers and officers carried housewives hand-made by their mothers and wives."
Below is a medicine case.
Let's look at a close up of the contents...
Not sure about you...but these scared me a little bit. I looked some up, a lot of them are natural remedies, used in homeopathic treatments, made from plants.
Below is a stomach pump...it looks painful. Used in a hospital located in what is now City Hall in the City of Macon. "When general Sherman passed by, Dr. Love and the city leaders boarded up the town and placed signs on the incoming roads which read, 'smallpox'. The Union army bypassed Macon as they 'Marched to the Sea.'"
Below: the hilt and sheath of a presentation sword given to Ulysses S. Grant by the People of Kentucky in May 1864.
The scabbard is solid silver with gold plates hold the initials "USG", "A" for USA, and "KY" for Kentucky. The initials are encrusted with diamonds.
We came across some wonderful scenes of tiny little figures. I am told they were hand painted by high school history students.
Toward the end of the displays was also a fun collection of women's fashion from the era.
I know you've all wondered what became of Scarlett's hat.
It found it's way here of all places! What fun...now where's her matching dress?


















No comments:
Post a Comment