A friend gave us tickets to fly! Below: Before Flying
Here's how it works:
First, go through a 10 minute training which includes stable body positioning for flying and hand signals so the instructor can signal to you how to adjust your position in case you're headed for disaster! (Not really, but hat's what it feels like might happen to a newbie. Then you start panicking that you won't remember what the signals are once you start flying!)
Then get all zipped up, put in ear plugs, sport eye protection and head gear. Think to yourself how cool, yet geeky you must look.
We each got 1 minute of fly time. Twice. The first minute is spent figuring out how to fly in a stable position. You basically hold a position and the instructor handles you to help you get stable.
Let the reality hit you that this is was quite a new adventure! You've NEVER floated in mid air before!
When you've got it, they let go and you fly on your own. (They told us Adam flies in what they call a "box" position. Which is not very flexible, but is a very stable way to fly. Sounds about right.)
Then during your second turn, if you paid for it...the instructor lifts off the ground too and takes you UP into the wind tunnel.
I haven't had that kind of fun in a long time. I was laughing out loud (which consequently blew slobber everywhere. I wonder how often they have to clean slobber off the glass...or ceiling???
Below are some videos which cost a pretty penny. So watch them you must.
If you go, I must recommend bringing someone who will take video and photos. These photos and vids are provided by the facility, but aren't good. There were parents all around the tunnel taking images of their own for free! Wish I had known that was allowed.
Flying was an absolute THRILL. Surprisingly my hip joints and back were sore after bending my body backwards in the air. Who would have thought? And my hair...oh my hair. Though I pulled it back and braided per their suggestion...all the little fly away hairs were sucked up through the holes in my helmet and whipped into a frenzy. I had SO MANY knots to pick out (or rip out shhhh.) So I would suggest wearing some kind of head wrap.
Below: The After Photo
They also offer virtual reality glasses to wear while you are flying, but only after your third flight. (I wish! Can you imagine?) If we were made out of money, I might go a few more times but, we'll probably never go again. However, I'll remember this day forever! Lah!







No comments:
Post a Comment