A while ago our friends gave us a bag of dried blueberries. They aren't good. All the juicy flavor is gone and what’s left is a tough, fibery, odd tasting, shriveled ball of weirdness. Since there were so many of these weirdos in the bag—I figured I had plenty of chances to experiment and find the most delicious way to use them.
I made batches and batches of pancakes and didn’t skimp on the berries. I froze a lot of them for later. They weren’t bad popped into the toaster eaten nice and warm. I quite enjoyed having them on hand for a quick snack.
Always wanting to try baking Irish Soda bread, I found a recipe for an orange blueberry one. Not bad, but dry. The berries...not so great in it. They may have added to the dryness of the bread by soaking up a lot of the moisture during baking.
Quick breads were on the menu too—bananna blueberry and coconut blueberry. Again, not bad if sliced, toasted and slathered with butter. How could they not be?
I also tried a blueberry peach pie which was actually quite tasty the day after baking. The berries had soaked in the peach juice and plumped up. It gave them a better flavor.
My ruling? The pancakes and pie turned out the best. And after all this, the bag still wasn’t gone. I ended up tossing the rest—couldn’t get through them fast enough. Five pounds of dried blueberries is QUITE A LOT. What would YOU try to make with a bag of dried blueberries?






No comments:
Post a Comment