Have you ever seen what a professional sculpture artist can do with sand and water alone? I know I haven't. So I put a visit to the Port Aransas Sand Fest on our calendar and invited a couple of friends to join us this past weekend.
The drive down takes about 7 hours from where we live in Fort Worth so we planned a day for driving and dawdling along the way.
First stop: Collin Street Bakery. We had recently watched this fruitcake fraud documentary about the Collin Street Bakery, and also learned they're world famous for their fruitcake—so our curiousity MADE us stop by and check it out.
(They do have many other kinds of cakes and treats inside. So it's worth the stop.)
Marla discovered free samples of the cake were available—I've NEVER had a fruitcake before and I thought I'd like it. But I'm glad we tried the sample first—my face says it all. No worries though, we bought a couple cookies and a brownie to make up for our lack of enthusiasm for the famous fruitcake.
We then traveled down to Seguin and stopped to lunch at Burnt Bean Co.
Put this one on your list my friends. We arrived just in time to devour their offerings. The restaurant is open until 3:00 and sells out of many menu items before then. And I know why—IT'S DELICIOUS. The street corn pudding, the bacon ranch taters, the brisket...dang. Now I'm hungry. Here's a short video.
The meal was so good I forgot to take a nice photo. So here's a rude one. Sorry not sorry. And if you need dessert like most humans do, there's also an antique shop a few doors down that sells their own homemade ice cream which also makes a tasty, tasty treat. If you're traveling that direction, find a reason to stop in this little town at this BBQ joint if you can—but check their hours and get there well before closing as they sell out fast.
The next day we readied ourselves for the 25th annual, 4 mile long Sand Fest! Read more here.
It was quite crowded! If you choose to go, get ready for shopping, eating, to see some adorable dogs and their weird owners alongside some very amazing sand sculptures!
Many of the artists set up some kind of container to hold sand and water to get their structure started.
Some popular themes seemed to be: sandcastles, religious, heads and skulls (no surprise there.) But there was a good mix of original ideas for sure.
One of my votes went to the sculpture above for style. One went to the sculpture below for imagination. I don't know when the results of the competition will be posted.





























No comments:
Post a Comment