We haven't been up to anything lately—just trying to get through a heat wave. Even the lakes this time of year aren't refreshing and we've taken to staying indoors. So I've been reading recipe books and food blogs (I must be getting old). To break this long streak of un-posting...I thought I'd share a recipe I actually ended up trying.According to the site Wild Yeast: Schiacciata is a Tuscan flatbread, similar to — or is it a type of, or another name for? — focaccia. Pronounced something like skya-CHA-ta, and means “crushed” or “squashed” in Italian. It is typically made to celebrate the grape harvest.
It is wonderfully good. It's both sweet and savory, light and soft. I think it would go great with a light dish such as a chicken ceasar salad. And it's easy to make. Yep, I said easy.
The recipe can be found here. But quantities are listed in grams. So with the help of my trusty mail scale, I've "translated" the ingredients for you below, if you want to give it a try.
2 1/2 C white or bread flour
2/3 C Semolina flour (or substitute—I just used more white flour)
1 1/8 C water
1 tsp yeast
1 tsp salt
2 TBSP sugar (divided)
1/3 C olive oil
5 sprigs fresh rosemary (I used crushed. But fresh would be best.)
3 cups seedless California black grapes (Mary, I know you love these!)
1/2 tsp fennel seed coarsely chopped (optional...I think sunflower seeds would work too.)
Tip: If you don't have parchment paper—DO NOT substitute wax paper—unless you like peeling it off the bottom of your bread in tiny little pieces....Just lightly brush olive oil on a cookie sheet instead. The rest of the directions can be found here.


Yummy!! I've never heard of such a thing. I'll have to add it to my list of recipes to try. :) Hope you are having a great summer!!
ReplyDelete