Tuesday, December 9, 2014


Once a year, way out in Waco there's a Homestead Fair  (click here) where a Christian community—they call themselves the Homestead Heritage—puts on a big show with classes and lectures on the basics of homesteading. It includes things like aquaponic gardening, bee keeping, soap making, sheep herding, and barn raising like you see below. It's gaining popularity as I'm sure you can imagine why.

I hoped the barn raising event would be like Seven Brides for Seven Brothers…but it was more of a lecture on the history of barns and different ways of construction (which was interesting) and then the raising of one side of the frame. The guys did it and it was fun to watch.


Of course there are animals to get up close and personal with. Below Adam demonstrates how a man holds a baby versus how a woman holds a baby.


Below is a hand woven blanket. The sign reads: This cotton/linen double weave coverlet was woven on the draw loom in a traditional overshot coverlet pattern called "Double Orange Peel". Three, three foot panels were individually woven and hand-sewn together to make it queen-size with plow tuck or king-size shams.
It took a total of 114 hours from the time the threads were measured until it was washed and ironed.

40 hours to set up the loom
42 hours to weave the panels
32 hours to sew and hem

Oh, and the price: $9,500


Students were demonstrating how the various items are made. I was incredibly impressed. I liked seeing the teens and pre-teens presenting useful skills. We don't see that much in our society and it worries me a bit.

The only "sit down and learn" demonstration we caught was Hot Process Soap Making. Evidently lye is dangerous to work with. Maybe I'll go for cold process if I ever try to make soap. My bad luck dictates an explosion is likely to occur. The presenter was intelligent, well educated, and able to answer questions and make comparisons to the products we buy in the store.


Below is one of the buildings which showcased heirloom quality items for sale. Most were labeled "student work" or "master" and usually had the name of the person who made it. There were quilts, woven items such as scarves and mats and blankets; wooden items like tables and chairs, straw brooms; hand thrown pottery, and hand woven baskets.
Below is the mill for grinding all sorts of grains (of course). There were samples to taste and mixes to purchase, including gluten free options.
Most of the food at the fair is handmade from the communities' own product. We had lovely apple cider donuts. And the brick oven pizza is mouth watering just to look at, its got homemade cheese and farm grown meat. The corn dogs are also made of "real" meat and home milled breading. I told myself I wouldn't eat anymore…but after tasting one of the fresh cinnamon rolls (we watched them take the rolls out of the oven and slather them with icing) I felt panicked—I NEEDED to have one of my own—so we went back and bought more. I become such a happy little oinklett when it comes to great food.

I'd like to go again next year and catch a few more demonstrations and classes. This was a fun first visit!


3 comments:

  1. You always find the most fun things to do! That's so interesting! We've tossed around the idea of an urban chicken coop in our backyard...not sure how that would fly with the HOA...but it would sure be nice to have fresh eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds so cool! I so want to do this next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like so much fun! I can't believe that coverlet was SO EXPENSIVE!!! And those cinnamon rolls look amazing... I would need one or two for myself too! ;)

    ReplyDelete