When your friends say they found tickets to New York City ON SALE and invite you for a 48 hour weekend with a special discount on hotel prices...GO GO GO! What's the point in working if you only cash in on the boring stuff? One of the reasons we work is to provide the opportunity to have adventures and make memories. We almost felt silly for hesitating.
After a rather terrifying taxi ride (taxi drivers are maniacs) to our hotel and settling in, it was starting to get dark. We walked to Time Square to see what kind of tickets were available for a Broadway Show. (If you don't care what you see, definitely buy tickets this way. You'll get a major discount and the seats can be really great!)
Time Square has definitely been cleaned up since last I was there (the naked cowboy is long gone.) And it seemed...smaller somehow. It's a crazy tourist spot but it's still amazing to see the bright lights and fun to people watch.
We decided to eat dinner at the Shake Shack since it came recommended. I do however have to admit...it wasn't good (in my humble opinion...sorry!) The burgers weren't fresh and nothing special, and the shakes tasted mostly of whipped cream and air. I know some people like it so don't let me sway you from trying it if it's on your list.
And then OF COURSE we had to eat New York Cheesecake at Juniors! Oh my gosh! This is some of the best stuff in the world. No really. Years ago, my design teacher recommended we buy a whole cake and take it home on the plane with us. If only I could trust the TSA. They would probably confiscate it just to eat it themselves. *Anna sneers in their general direction.

I was excited to discover that Jamison likes to plan her vacations around food...me too, me too, me too!!! (I had my worries about not experiencing the food of New York the way I like.) But we ate ALL WEEKEND! YESSSSS!!! (In doing the math let's say we slept for 16 hours, leaving us with 32 waking hours in NYC...and we ate 16 times. Oh My.)
Anyway, Adam ordered a two layer cheesecake with chocolate and traditional. I has this lovely, creamy-smooth blueberry slice. I couldn't even finish it. People, THIS WAS SO GOOD. We really should have gone back again.
We then took our full tummies to a showing of Cats.
We didn't really know anything about it, except the costumes are award winning and it's famous for the song
Memory, and that it's about cats. Yep. That's exactly what it's about—This kind of cat and that kind of cat, dance, sing, and dance some more. It was a total 80's musical—take that how you like. We had great seats and it was fun to watch.
Oh, and don't forget the first celebrity citing of our trip—the
Winklevoss twins who sat two rows in front of us!
After the show we walked around and found a New York slice for second dinner. We saw a few other touristy spots like the outside of St. Patrick's Cathedral and the skating rink at Rockefeller along the way. After that we circled back to the hotel and were done for the day.
No comments:
Post a Comment