First, breakfast!
Below: Excited to walk down the Mall. (You all know it, it's in basically every movie with a Central Park scene. You know, the wide walkway with the benches and trees lining it?)
Can't NOT get a picture of the rink...like every other tourist probably.
I think this was the YUMMIEST thing I ate ALL weekend. I think about it often.
We ate right in front of all the runners. Hey, I just wanted them to know there were other things they could be doing besides running. It's good to have options.
Alas, the pizzeria didn't exist anymore...and was being torn apart. Oh well...we decided to walk south and search for something else. I really liked this part of town by the way, wish we'd had more time to dawdle.
Doors to the temple
And then just a bit further down the road we came upon the Metropolitan Opera House! Eeee!
I was so thrilled to have seen it in person. (We were kind of in a rush so I didn't get any closer than this but still!) After seeing several live broadcasts from the Met, and then finally being there—I got a little emotional.
Later while recounting our experience, Adam's Dad asked me, "What's so great about New York? Isn't it just another city?"
To which I replied, "It's great because the best of the best is there; resources, talent, and inspiration. Anything you could ever be interested in you can find." (Granted the worst of the worst can be found here too, but we ignore that part.)
And that's why I get emotional about New York. It's world class everything. Who wouldn't get emotional over that thought while standing in the middle of it?
I Snapped a quick chat to Dwynne and Dad. Later I got a message from Dad. At the moment I Snapped this (below)—he was sitting in a theater in California waiting for the live opera performance to begin, probably watching patrons enter the building who had likely passed ME as I was standing on the steps in person. There's a fun happenstance!
After a few strikes at finding a sit down restaurant that was open from our list—we ran into another Magnolia Bakery. Lee says we planned it. No. No we did not. I bought a tiny little pudding and stuffed it in our bag to take home.
By now we'd had the option to eat a real meal but we were all so full, we probably wouldn't have enjoyed it. So we opted to try something from Bouchon Bakery.
(When Adam and I were in Napa, we'd waited in line to try the Bouchon, but the line was long and it was getting late so we left. It was nice to finally have a shot at it.)
Then on to our final destination. We'd basically been waiting all day for the weather to clear up so we'd be able to see the Empire State building from the Top of the Rock.
Below Titled: Groupie While Staring Directly Into the Sun.
Here's a shot of St. Patrick's Cathedral with protestors from the Women's March in the streets out front. I was amazed how easily their combined yelling reached us so high.
Another shot. And you can still see the crowd in the street below.
A little worried about crowds and making it to the airport in time, we came down for a quick drink at Joe the Juice before taking another insane taxi ride out of the city.
...that Jamison and I climbed behind a tree and smashed ourselves up against the window just for some peace.
Later at the airport the TSA kicked me out because of my banana pudding. I wasn't about to give it up, and they wouldn't let me eat it "inside." So, though I was full...I exited, sat down in the hall, and ate outside the gate with everyone watching. Scrumptious. Though, I was hoping to experience it in a total and complete different way. Sheesh.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteTotally worth the wait! Someday is going to be here before you know it! Eeeeee!
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteWhat an amazing trip! New York is definitely on my list of places to go. My favorite part is you sitting in the hall to eat your pudding. :)
ReplyDelete