Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Monterey Bay

Last minute we decided to drive to Monterey and visit the world famous aquarium. It's a long drive through mostly farm land but I personally enjoyed it. For many of the crops it was harvest season. So we got to see how several different crops are gathered by hand or by machine.
The aquarium is found on Cannery Row where they used to can anchovies. (Turns out my great Aunt LaDene (not sure how to spell her name just this moment) worked there when she and her husband first moved out to California. From the stories Dad heard...she didn't last long. It was hard work.
I found it fitting that the aquarium had a huge tank of anchovies swimming 'round and around.
 They open their mouths big and wide to catch food. It's funny to watch, interesting and weird.
 There are plenty of other fascinating and colorful things to see.
 Below are some kind of starfish.
The jellyfish tanks are impressive and became one of our favorite attractions. It's mesmerizing to watch as they gently float up and down trailing their tentacles behind them like underwater kites.
They had several species, some teeny tiny ones, and others that light up.


Adam jerked his head back when he saw these eel. "Ugly!" He exclaimed and walked on. He had no interest in a closer look. However, I thought this particular green was quite lovely but yes, in an ugly sort of way.
Below are Striped Pajama Squid. So cute! They fit in the palm of your hand.
There was a tank with cuttle fish close by too. They were very lively and active, changing color often. I very much enjoyed watching them.
There were several live sea birds inside the building as well. 


There was actually A LOT more to see than what I am posting. The aquarium was entirely packed. It was difficult to see things and even more difficult for picture taking. I try to be polite and not get in the way of people just to take a photograph—I can't believe how many people lack photographer's etiquette. (Soap box!)

Below, is Cannery Row. There are many shops and places to grab a treat along the street. I recommend a fresh cookie and hot chocolate from the Nestlé Toll House Cafe. Because cookies are always a great idea and it's cold on the coast!
 Or try some Turkish delight or baklava from Troya Turkish Delight and Coffee.
 When I saw the display of baklava flavors—I mean, what do you think happened?
 Hello my lovelies.
 And then when I saw assortment of turkish delight??? I've had the generic flavors but these? Yeah. Those happened too.
Watch out though, it's an undelightful $30.00 a pound. And you much purchase more than a single bite. We tried a chocolate one and a pomegranate. I liked both but sadly, Adam decided for sure he didn't like Turkish delight at all. I think the chewy factor got him.
Then off to dinner. We had clam chowder at Old Fisherman's Grotto on 39 Fisherman's Wharf—excellent chowder. It's what they're known for. I'm craving it now. 

Then we drove to Salinas to spend the night because we'd decided to keep traveling down along the coast to see some more amazing things the next day too!

No comments:

Post a Comment