Sunday, April 25, 2021

Ripley’s Believe It or Not and Wax Museum

After seeing this colorful palace from the freeway several times over the years, I finally decided we should go inside. It’s full of Ripley’s Believe It or Not displays and a wax museum! The entire visit was as odd as you can imagine.

A vampire killing kit circa 1840. Made in Boston, these kits were sold to people traveling to Transylvania. (I must send an email asking them to turn the vials so we the public can read the contents. Aren’t you so curious? And do I spy pliers to pull fangs?!)
A shrunken head. The skin is removed from the head and put into a concoction of boiling herbs to to shrink. There was a video showing how this was done—nasty.
The world’s tallest man, R. Wadlow grew to 8 ft. 11.1 inches tall. Sadly he passed away at age 22 and at that time and height he weighed over 1,000 lbs.
There was a lot of weird “art" on display too. But this house I liked.
Above: This “Crooked House" took nearly 1,000 hours to complete—over nine months— and contains over 300,000 matchsticks.

WAX MUSEUM

After the Ripley Section of the building, we toured the wax museum, which turned out to be just as strange as the first part of our day. It has a haunted section with figures from horror movies (Adam hid behind me the whole time) and a Christian section depicting different scenes from Christ’s life—which was a little awkward. Celebrity, well known political figures, and movie characters were also on display.
I asked Adam if he wanted a picture with Johnny Depp and he answered with, “Nah” but then got a funny grin and bounce in his step and said, “Okay!” (Adam still has a man crush on Johnny Depp, more pointedly, Jack Sparrow.)
Some wax figures were very close in similitude to their live counterpart, others I didn’t recognize at all as the likeness was so off!
The Duke in “True Grit” which we finally watched a few days ago to see him in his academy award winning role.
Word. Anna agrees with Walt.
Having a “boop” moment with Gandhi. 
In all, it was a fun and weird day. Totally worth it if you’re feeling uninspired and bored. Totally.

No comments:

Post a Comment