If you crave colorful surroundings, fiber arts, and making memories...the Sweet Tooth Hotel has a vibrant, bite-size environment for you to step into for about an hour or so. Now, if you think you’ll be visiting sometime soon...I’ve tried not to show TOO many photos, but if you don’t like spoilers, don’t scroll too much further!
Above: “So Cozy” by Hannah Busekrus. She created the hidden world of a cat...by “imagining and projecting what a cat might be dreaming of while it sleeps.” This room was most impressive.
Located in Dallas, the Sweet Tooth Hotel is a Pop Up that is currently showcasing fiber art installations created by seven female artists. Over 2 million feet of yarn was used to create the following masterpieces. If you visit the QR code above you can read about the installations and artists.If you want to go to the website, here’s a hyperlink: Sweet Tooth Hotel
Above, “Rigged” by Nicki Dionne, is a reflection of a claw machine within a claw machine. Now, of course there is deeper meaning to this, but I’m not going to give it away.
This is titled “Sucre Fleuf!” by Twinkie Chan and is an imaginary bakery in the middle of a secret garden. There are many cupboard doors to open and lots of little charming things to discover in this room. I enjoyed it very much.
Behind a door we found ourselves underwater! Above: “Mermaid Lagoon” by London Kay who was in the middle of crocheting IN this room for this installation when the pandemic hit. She found it a peaceful place to be during all the uncertainty and it motivated her to continue creating.
In the photos above I’ve shown only the floor of the installation “Temporal Jungle” by Molly Sydnor. Which of course the graphic designer in me was attracted to. However, this is one room in which I didn't get a good photograph. Each wall is a different color and has many textures and objects. It is a "push and pull between the real and the illusory, the tactile and the visual. Geometry, color trickery, and texture form an intangible op-art backdrop for a tangible jungle gym."
Er, I need to research how to pose. I’m not an influencer.
Above and below: Joanna Lin “Soft Surprise. Part of her bio reads, “Much of the work attempts to subvert the expectations by elevating low brow humor with high regard for craftsmanship.
Above: “You (are) Tube
Above: Titled, “An Impossible Reality” by Jackie Lawrence. This is actually part of a very large hanging installation of which Jackie says are meant to feel overpowering yet intimate. Out of everything, this was the piece I most wanted to run my hands over.
Above is another of Joanna Lin’s contribution. Low brow humor? Yes Ma’am. Could she sell these with great success? You bet. And she probably does. (This is as adult rated as the show gets.)
Above and below by London Kay, titled “New York City” This artist created a new style crochet hook, “a Crochet Hook with a Twist” and has received a patent for the design. There’s a REAL crocheted mailbox in this room where you can post a letter. I wish I’d known! (That’s what I get for doing my research AFTER visiting. Grumble.)
The place is small, so if you go, take your time to appreciate the handiwork. There is more in each room than you see at first. Imagine how many combined hours it must have taken all these women to complete their work!
Above, “Rigged” by Nicki Dionne, is a reflection of a claw machine within a claw machine. Now, of course there is deeper meaning to this, but I’m not going to give it away.
This is titled “Sucre Fleuf!” by Twinkie Chan and is an imaginary bakery in the middle of a secret garden. There are many cupboard doors to open and lots of little charming things to discover in this room. I enjoyed it very much.
Behind a door we found ourselves underwater! Above: “Mermaid Lagoon” by London Kay who was in the middle of crocheting IN this room for this installation when the pandemic hit. She found it a peaceful place to be during all the uncertainty and it motivated her to continue creating.
In the photos above I’ve shown only the floor of the installation “Temporal Jungle” by Molly Sydnor. Which of course the graphic designer in me was attracted to. However, this is one room in which I didn't get a good photograph. Each wall is a different color and has many textures and objects. It is a "push and pull between the real and the illusory, the tactile and the visual. Geometry, color trickery, and texture form an intangible op-art backdrop for a tangible jungle gym."
Er, I need to research how to pose. I’m not an influencer.
Above: “You (are) Tube
Above: Titled, “An Impossible Reality” by Jackie Lawrence. This is actually part of a very large hanging installation of which Jackie says are meant to feel overpowering yet intimate. Out of everything, this was the piece I most wanted to run my hands over.
Above is another of Joanna Lin’s contribution. Low brow humor? Yes Ma’am. Could she sell these with great success? You bet. And she probably does. (This is as adult rated as the show gets.)
Above and below by London Kay, titled “New York City” This artist created a new style crochet hook, “a Crochet Hook with a Twist” and has received a patent for the design. There’s a REAL crocheted mailbox in this room where you can post a letter. I wish I’d known! (That’s what I get for doing my research AFTER visiting. Grumble.)
The place is small, so if you go, take your time to appreciate the handiwork. There is more in each room than you see at first. Imagine how many combined hours it must have taken all these women to complete their work!Here’s the link again: Sweet Tooth Hotel





No comments:
Post a Comment