Monday, January 12, 2009

'Till We Meet Again

My grandpa, George Clawson—my mom's dad—passed away this morning. And although, I have mixed feelings, which is usually the case when something momentous like this happens—part of me feels VERY excited for him. He has moved past the hardships of this life. After an operation on his knees about 4 years ago, he had a stroke which took most of his memory. Grandma has been taking wonderful care of him, and doing her best to fill in his memory gaps, but as the years have passed, his health and strength declined . . . and we all knew it was only a matter of time.

Grandpa was such a sweet, smart man. I remember how he read, studied, and loved the gospel. In fact, he and Grandma served FOUR missions. I remember fishing with grandpa when we were small, how he helped me pinch a worm in half. I remember his hot pink pajama bottoms and how loud he snored. I know how to do a Mauri war dance and we call our belly buttons "puku" because of him. I also inherited his toes. . . .

Now, he has simply moved on to the next phase, and I can only imagine the happiness that surrounds him . . . he gets to be with his family. So, farewell grandpa. We will miss you, and we are sad you aren't with us—but our joy for you is full. Until we meet again . . .

(photo taken 1991, just before leaving for a mission.)

6 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about your grandpa! I want to know about those hot pink p.j.'s!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry for your family's loss. I love the way you are remembering him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are so sorry he passed I know how wonderful grandparents are and any man who wears hot pink pajama bottoms is a good man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are sorry to hear about your grandpa. The memories you have of him will be a great blessing to you and your family. And what he has taught you will last for eternity. Be sure to share all he has meant to you with your future family. They will come to love him as you do and his legacy will live on. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. We love you. The Sheltons. PS Thanks for blogging. We feel like we stay in touch as we follow your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear this Anna. Sending you and your family love and good thoughts.

    ReplyDelete