Sunday, February 22, 2009

Dad's Dutch Oven French Bread

I am sitting here with my mouth full of hot, crunchy, french bread, butter dripping down my wrist—oh so good—and feeling guilty you can't all have some. So, I am giving in and sharing the recipe (thanks Dad). You will die when you find out how easy it is and die again when you taste it with real salted butter. *crunch crunch, smack, smack.* (Best if dough is prepared the night before and cooked the next day.)

In a bowl add:
3 cups flour
1/2 to 1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 tsp yeast

1. Stir ingredients together. Do not knead, do not mix. Dough will be ropey.
2. Cover with saran wrap, let sit for up to 20 hours.
3. Take out of bowl, add more flour (I add about 1/4 cup). Make into ball, put back into bowl to rise 'till double in size.
4. Turn into an un-greased dutch oven.
5. Bake in 400° oven for 30 minutes with lid on, 15 minutes lid off (this is what gives you that delicious crunchy crust.)
6. Crunchiest and best when served fresh with real salted butter.

8 comments:

  1. Yummy, we'll be trying this one soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, that sounds delicious!
    Hey thanks for your thank you card. That was hilarious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is good I've had some and my favorite thing in this mortal life is BREAD! I love it, can't get enough of it! Thanks SO much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That looks so yummy! Definitely going to give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mouth is watering!!! I am going to have to try it!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks absolutely delicious!! I want some right now!! :) I am going to try it, but first I need to purchase a dutch oven, any good ideas? How much do they cost?

    ReplyDelete