Thursday, August 20, 2009

Introducing Larry, George, Micah, Edward, Missy, Lana, Penelope, Spike . . .

They finally arrived . . . my little vermicomposting worms! I was convinced to compost with worms while reading an interesting blog published by a gardener in Australia. I love the idea that my kitchen scraps will feed the worms which will eventually feed my plants via compost tea (liquid from the bin) and castings (poop). I couldn't stop thinking about it; after a lot of research I talked Adam into letting me have a few pets. . . .

250 worms arrived today in a little bag. The package had been crushed during the trip (eek!) but only a few were dead. I gave them a drink and then into the bins they went.

Worms Love: watermellon rinds, corn cobs, cantaloupe rinds, pumpkin
Worms Like: coffee grounds, tea bags, vegetables, fruits, crushed egg shells, banana peels
Worms Tolerate: citrus, onions, garlic
Worms Hate: oil, salt

I'll bet if humans ate like worms we'd be pretty healthy!After introducing the little wormies to their bin, I covered them with wet shredded paper. After only 20 minutes they had begun exploring their new home. They are active little beasties.

I hope they survive. I caught one trying to escape through a breath hole, so I've already had to start problem solving—I'll keep you updated on my little science experiment.

8 comments:

  1. I'm glad you founds something interesting, but ew. You know me. If it crawls and/or is slimy, I can't deal with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. so gross!! but good for you... that's awesome to be so self-sufficient as to create your own "dirt" ;). Maybe I should try it, it could help out my sorry excuse for a garden! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting, let me know how your gardening turns out. Maybe you will have to eat like a worm to provide all of the rinds you're going to need.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doesn't that stink super bad, though?

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, it doesn't stink. In fact, when you open the bin, it smells like dirt.
    It depends on what you feed the worms. They can eat dairy and meat, but they don't break down . . .that's what causes the smell. So, just feed them "plants" and all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you're a fellow worm farmer!! Harold and I have been farming for years and swear by the rich "tea" and castings; they make great soil and, thus, beautiful plants. Enjoy your worms but like all farm animals, don't name them......

    ReplyDelete
  7. How do you keep them straight by their names?! :) Looks like an interesting experiment -- wish you luck!!

    ReplyDelete