Thursday, August 27, 2009

It Wasn't Discusting Until Now

ONE WEEK LATER:
We make discoveries in the bin. I only remember ordering worms.
(If you haven't read the first post about this click here before continuing.)
I believe the tiny white larvae are fruit fly larvae. The brown, I don't know. The large one about to beat the worm in a race is called a Black Soldier Fly Larvae, or BSF. The resulting flies are harmless and live for just a few days. They must have snuck into my bin and laid eggs while I had it outside before introducing the worms. My bad. Way my bad.


The BSFLs (larvae) are harmless to the worms, *cheer* in fact some people have PURPOSEFULLY attempted to attract BFLs to their bins. Ew! (Read more on this here.)The BSFLs are such voracious eaters—the little oinkers—that they can down a whole melon in a matter of days! We can hear them smacking and crunching under the compost.
Because the BSFLs go through food so fast, (click here for a video) their bodies don’t process it completely, allowing the worms to come after them and process the droppings—which works out perfectly for all involved. Consequently this is why people like to have both vermin in their bins—it speeds up the process super extra double time.

SO HERE’S THE FIRST DILEMMA:
First, and worst, the tiny larvae are escaping the bin, through the air holes, and the bin is inside. Yeah. Not good. You should see what we’ve collected in the vacuum. Or not.

Put it outside you say?


It’s too hot outside for the worms. When I tried, they made an exodus en mass. (At least I know they're still alive, sheesh.)
SECOND DILEMMA:
Eating what we feed them, the BSFL produce very wet...pee. Good for plants, and exactly what I want, but the stuff STINKS. Enter gag reflex. And remember I had wanted this in the house. (Are you dancing around saying “ew” yet?)

THIRD DILEMMA:
We like to eat but we certainly don’t produce enough kitchen scraps to feed these monsters. That’s why I wanted nice, quiet, smell good, slow worms in the first place.

SOLUTIONS?
I have a few in mind. One is giving up. The other is starting over. And there are a few in between—maybe involving chickens. . . . I’ll keep you posted. Meanwhile, you might not want to visit us for a few days without a nose-plug, but feel free to bring your leftovers.

7 comments:

  1. That does sound discusting. I certainly wouldn't want worms and flies/maggots all over my house! Good luck with your critters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I call the dime!!

    Wow... you need a potting shed or is it potty shed? Sorry... anyways, good luck with your worms (I can't HELP but think of Dumb and Dumber, "I got worms")!! :)

    lis

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW. I'm definitely saying EWWWWW!!!!!!!! That is so gross. Wishing you a different kind of luck now that I've read this post! lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is terrible! Yesterday, in our house, we saw a huge spider with baby spiders clinging onto it's butt. EWWWWWWWW for both of us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok seriously I wouldn't even think of clicking on those links...gross...geesh Anna why can't you just be like all the other wasteful, lazy Americans and fill up landfills and stuff. And while you are at it, start driving a big hummer too.
    :0)
    Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anna!!!!

    This is sooo cool! My husband and I are just stepping into the world of worm farming and we are really excited about it. Quite a coincidence that I would stumble upon your blog today and read this. My dad just recently sent us some literature about BSFs and chickens. We live in an apartment right now, but I'm pretty excited about one day having some property and experimenting more with this stuff. Keep it up and keep posting your progress/misadventures! I love it!

    Heidi Goracke (but you know me as Heidi Roe)

    ReplyDelete