Sunday, March 25, 2012

Week 2


...tried to harden off the Cucumber Diva plants. And failed. No laughing.
Finally the Lisianthus flower germinated. And the plants are so tiny!
We have this odd space in front of the house; a square patch of grass...I think a bush might have been here at some point. It's a nice little place for a mini garden because the sun hits it all day long. So Adam made a box for the space yesterday.
He also built a trellis for me last week which I painted purple—a
lthough, some people may think the purple is out of place and obnoxious—it's the opposite of green on the color wheel, so I think the plants will look snazzy on it. My "someday" landscape garden colors are purple, lime green, and white. What are yours?
The box is filled with "Mel's Mix". According to the Square Foot Garden book, the perfect soil mix is 1/3 peet moss, 1/3 vermiculite, and 1/3 compost mix (made of at least 5 different types of compost). Hopefully we did it right. The soil is really nice, loose, drains, holds water well etc. But it was EXPENSIVE. So we'll be putting A LOT of plants in this box....sorry if you can't get to our front door sometime in the future....
So far I've transplanted only the Trionfo Violetta Beans (the beans will be purple). And also planted more of the seed so we'll have a longer harvest; can't wait for the climbing to begin!

2 comments:

  1. that looks amazing! way to go. hope they turn out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I will ever have a garden...I dont like the up keep and bugs. Haha! But I love your colors and the purple thing looks really nice on your house!:)

    ReplyDelete