Sunday, March 5, 2017

Try Something New


This bright weirdly shaped fruit caught my eye at the grocery store. "What IS this?!" It was the strangest thing—a Buddha's Hand. Well, I can see why. I Snapped it to a few people who had the same reaction as I. A few days later I went back to buy one, because OF COURSE I had to try it. How can one not?

After reading up on it, I found that it's the oldest citron known, and it doesn't have any edible fruit inside. The rind is used for flavoring lemon dishes. Which makes sense. It smells heavenly, like a combination of orange and lemon rind plus citrus blossom. I liked rubbing my nose all over it and breathing deeply—eyes closed for maximum olfactory pleasure.

Here's what it looked like inside.


Looking for a way to preserve it, I found a recipe and candied the rind.
Then I skewered a piece on a toothpick for each person in the family to try and we all gagged! IT WAS SO BITTER! I had to rinse out my mouth. So yeah, use the rind for flavoring, don't actually eat chunks of it. I left the jar at home with Dad. I assume he's using it in hot tea? (Need to contact him and see if he's had any adventures with it.)
Isn't it fun trying new things?


No comments:

Post a Comment