Wednesday, September 23, 2020

How We’re Handling COVID-19

Currently, we're in the middle of the global COVID-19 pandemic. It’s been odd, depressing, sad, scary and interesting to watch the differences in how people react, how local authorities have responded as well as the CDC, and the effect the actual virus has had on those who contract it. And then, also having to decide for ourselves what the best course of action would be to protect and prepare our family has been surreal. 

PRE-PANDEMIC PREP

Before public panic set in, I couldn’t shake the feeling that I needed to gather some supplies—specifically household items like toilet paper, hand soap, laundry soap etc. I hadn’t been shopping for a while because of an insanely rough downswing in my recovery. So, I’m grateful the little voice inside me urged me strongly enough to get me off my duff. The items we needed were still on shelves and I had no problem finding necessities. (You should have seen Costco. The lines to checkout ran to the back of the store. Carts were piled high with food—which interestingly, I wasn’t particularly worried about, I only purchased a few frozen items and that was it.)

And then, in March a stay-at-home quarantine was instituted, toilet paper became impossible to find, and face masks highly encouraged.

I wasn’t panicked, never really have been. I think to worry over the pandemic became “one thing too many” for my plate, so I’ve felt a little numb about it honestly. I keep thinking, “I’ll worry about it later.” Adam is so easy going, I don’t think any of this has phased him. Not one, single, bit.

MASKS

Masks weren’t available anywhere for a while. But free DIY patterns were popping up on the internet. So one of my quarantine activities became experimentation with different designs to find one I personally liked. (In the process I made some awful fails too.) I was glad for the distraction. It came when I was in a lot of pain and I desperately needed to keep my mind busy.

Earlier in the year I’d been fiddling around designing surface patterns to have printed on fabric at Spoonflower. The need for masks kicked me into ordering test swatches from them and when it arrived I got to sewing!

Some of the printed designs turned out somewhat cute! (Others I kinda hate.) The mask style I liked most was a fitted pattern with floral wire sewn in at the bridge of the nose so it could be pinched for a tighter fit and prevent fog on glasses. The ribbon wraps around the head and ties behind the neck to save the ears from getting raw. Some had an inside seam open on some of them so a filter could be inserted. Others were triple layered.
I’d also inherited a small stack of fabric left over from an activity at church. I made it a goal to use the material until it ran out and then “gave back” by offering up the masks to members at church. I left a message on Facebook telling them to come by and grab what they needed from boxes on my porch. They disappeared quickly. I think a delivery guy even took one. In the end I made over 50 masks. 
Below: Aunt Sally sent masks to Natalie’s little family. I mailed some to Natalie as well and Dwynne too. I look at pictures like this and still can’t believe it's our reality. Children and babies with covered faces?! It made me cry.

After a shortage in mask making supplies, the industry has finally caught up and now masks have become a fashion accessory and are available from top notch brands to the gutter shops like Wally World.

WORK FROM HOME

Businesses shut down and the non-essential work force went home and set up shop. Adam took over the house. He commandeered my art desk....

spread out in the living room...

and occupied my sauna during conference calls.



He still took business trips but the company sent their private plane to jet Adam and Andy around the country so as to keep their favorite employees away from pubic airline germs.

In a text thread my family started trading pictures of their quarantine workspaces.
Dwynne
Natalie
Mom
Dad

Mo
Michael and Hayden. (Evidently some people missed the foot memo.)

PUBLIC SPACES

I’ve been a little bit fascinated to see how public spaces are handing the 6 foot “social distance” rule—mainly in the VISUAL and graphic context. It’s showing up in ways I never would have expected to see. Here are a couple of screen shots to show you what I mean.




There’s a whole new category for graphic designers, textile designers, sign makers, and photographers to fill now.

CURRENTLY

Businesses and schools have slowly opened back up with distance protocols in effect, limited hours of operation, and mandatory mask wearing (which Adam and I have NO PROBLEM WITH. And let’s not make it into a political statement okay?) Adam has had to work from home twice now because two coworkers have contracted COVID. He also does the grocery shopping and some errand running so as to help keep my public exposure to a minimum. (I don’t think my body would handle COVID very well considering my health.)

We went into Dallas two weekends ago, and the city is still dead quiet. 

We wash our hands more often, and try to touch our faces and pick our noses less. Ha! 

I declined a trip to California to see my family because I didn’t feel good about taking the chance of extra exposure, which was depressing. You know how much I like it there. 

I’m struggling within the same walls day after day (part of this is because I HAVE to eat at home, making meals from scratch. Travel is next to impossible.) I reached out to Dwynne who suggested we face-time so she could teach me how to play Minecraft which I NEVER thought I’d get into. We get together frequently now to visit and play and it's helped both of us. 

Adam and I are still able to "have church" and take the sacrament at home(yes!) Even though congregations have now been allowed to assemble in medium size groups for a limited amount of time, I believe it might be a while before church goes into a full two hour swing again. 

And Adam hasn’t slowed down at all. His business is booming despite the economic downturn and it’s almost hunting season. In fact, he’s left me for the evening to put up a deer stand. I’ll be a hunter’s widow soon.

Everyone is processing this experience differently. The pandemic has brought fear, sorrow and hardship but also some silver linings and learning experiences. I am extremely interested to see what kind of permanent societal, academic, personal, political, business, and economic changes will come about as a result of this. I think we are going to see some REALLY clever, sustainable, and good things develop. I hope so.

Above: Visiting a friend who is in quarantine as a prerequisite for surgery. 

No comments:

Post a Comment