Sunday, July 27, 2008

Arbuckle Wilderness

We visited Arbuckle Wilderness yesterday, in Oklahoma (about an hour and a half away from home.) It was fantastic. It's a drive-through open range where several different animals roam. They aren't fed during the day by park rangers because the public gets to feed them. So here goes, fasten your seat belts, and don't get out of the car. There's some pretty wild animals on the loose. . . .

Texas long horn
Llama, which I have nicknamed Poodle Llama.
5 bucks for three cups of feed, totally worth it. Yum, Pepsi.
A camel takes thing into his own hands . . . er, mouth.
The camels go from car to car and
stick their head inside looking for food.

Jamie and her Dad ahead of us. I'm not sure what many of the animals are. The park didn't post much information—bummer. Don't worry about the horns, the animals seemed pretty aware of them so no one got scratches on their cars.
Larissa and Dayne . . . is that a Yak?
Bison
Much of the time we had to pour the feed into the animal's mouths because the cups are so small.
Tiny, beautiful, and white, this creature was too afraid to eat out of the cups. The antlers are fuzzy.

If I remember right, this cow is from India and is known for its long ears—biggest ears in the cow family.
Here he is up close. He had just eaten Adam's feed cup, all in one bite.
"Ayechawawa!" Adam screams, "Dive bombing Ostrich!" We stopped feeding them pretty fast. They're violent eaters! Adam's sister tried to roll up the window yelling "don't squish his head". (Meanwhile her son was getting his leg drooled on by another animal. Gross.)
The range was divided up by cow guards to keep the animals spaced out. They waited at the gates ready to be fed.

Adam's sister Heidi.
Incoming from the sky!
These are my favorite. We were out of food by the time we reached them. Look at those horns! Amazing. I really must find out what these animals are.



Adam, his Dad, Travis, and Tyler feeding the turtles. They come up to you just like all the other animals.

I really need to do some research on these. I have no idea what breed we're talking about here. (Corny photos call for corny captions. Sorry.)

4 comments:

  1. how fun! We can't wait for Mo to graduate and start making money, so we can come and do stuff with ya'll!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool! What a fun way to spend the day and you got some awesome pictures!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. okay okay you all are having way too much fun in theTexas without me...stop it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the craziest thing I have EVER seen!! I don't think that I could PAY Mark to go through that with me... :) Wow, now you are ready for a Safari in Africa! hehe...

    ReplyDelete