Monday, June 1, 2009

Back to Basics

Since we've talked about gardens, let me share this little gem with you. I saw this on Oprah during Earth Day and showed it to Adam . . . and neither one of us can stop thinking about it as it has inspired some new ways of thinking for us. Click here to view video.


For those of you who still have dial-up: This garden supplied the family with 3 tons of food on 1/10 of an acre. They have animals for eggs and milk. The extra food gets sold to local stores and the community. The family lives comfortably on 40k a year.

Can you believe it? I supposed I shouldn't complain about not having enough space to grow something on my balcony eh? I know this "level" would be difficult for many families and lifestyles—especially the animals . . . but I do believe communities could achieve something like it in such cases. Hmmm.

And think . . . instead of using money on expensive lawns (which pretty much just look pretty) why not use our resources to grow something that will sustain and beautify life? I could go on forever about the ideas this has inspired . . . but I won't. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. You're so gonna do this someday, aren't you! Don't forget to work in your bonsai wish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, I would love to live like that. I just have alot to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's brilliant and beautiful! I think this is exactly how my grandparents lived; very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete