Friday, March 19, 2010
Cake #8 Marbled Fondant
Requirements for this cake: use a marbled fondant covered cake board, and be prepared to make fondant fabric swags and put them on during class.
The marbling doesn't show well, but you get the point. And since the base was marbled, I figured I may as well do the rest of the cake that way.
Things I learned:
1. When fondant is too thin, bumps show easier and tears will develop as it begins to slide off your cake like aging skin.
2. Don't use a butter based frosting under the fondant, it will start to melt, dissolve the fondant and leak out of your cake at the base.
3. Gum paste flowers are fun! And it's easy to make up your own flowers once you get the basics down. (The large one is made up.) But they take forever...get several movies to work with.
The Chiffon cake is dry and not very chocolaty so I won't be passing the recipe on. We have yet to try the other flavor. I'll post it later, if it turned out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

You'll be a professional cake decorator making wedding cakes full time SOON -- gorgeous flowers!!! :)
ReplyDeleteI love the flowers on the top... so graphic to have them all white. I think that the marbling affect is very cool too.
ReplyDeleteI also loved your YW's theme... very cool. They SOOOOO have the right person in there for creativity!! :) You rock!
Absolutely beautiful.
ReplyDeleteYou've got to be kidding me! You are so AMAZING!
ReplyDelete