Tuesday, April 17, 2018

M&H at the Magnolia Silos and Homestead

We don't live too far from Waco, made famous by Chip and Joanna Gain's show "The Fixer Upper." They've invested in business in Waco which has become a "destination" for vacationers. So down we drove!
Currently the silos are empty. However, we were told by a worker that it's rumored Chip will have one silo of product while Joanna will have the other—his and her product line. But they were currently putting all efforts into a new restaurant which was about to open. (I believe it's open by now, though am not sure.)

 But the famous bakery rests directly in front of one silo.

 It's quaint and cute inside. Everything behind the case is drool-worthy.
Don't you love neat little rows of treats?
Why didn't we get a sixth cupcake, oh why? (Please say that in a Lemony Snicket voice.)These desserts are as delicious as they are cute.



The magnolia shop is across from both silos. 

I liked a lot of product here. I pulled open a few drawers (shhhhh, don't tell the shopkeepers) and found extra stock in MORE neat little rows. Squeeee!




We were there during the beginning of Christmas season, so a lot of the decor and items for sale revolved around the holiday. I am curious to go back and see their regular stock. 
And behind the store, in a "warehouse" is Chip's Corner, with MORE product. Those two have made it, they've attained the American dream...work hard, and become successful, grow your legacy. I can't help but be happy for them. 

After shopping we hung out a bit on the astroturf. 

Until Michael eyeballed the food trucks.... 
First, we tried Viteks Gut Pack. 

which was delicious. 
Then we headed over to another food truck...

and tried this Korean inspired sammy. It was good too. I love food trucks. 

On the campus is also a little garden area (where I found a great little black vase to take home, eee!)


After seeing all there was to see, we took the bus on a free circuit around the city. It dropped us right back where we got on. It was lovely to get a break with some air-conditioning while getting a mini tour of the little city. I'd recommend it as something else to do while you're there.

The Homestead
I've blogged about this place a few times before so I won't go into detail about what it is. We stopped there since it was on the way home. They've built new buildings to house handmade items and in some cases showcase the artists creating them. 





It was a good visit. I'd never been there without the crowds before and quite enjoyed having time to look around without feeling rushed or jostled and claustrophobic.   

Below: They feature a grist mill and have flour and other mixes available. 


(They spin their own thread from cotton and wool.)
After the Homestead (where did we have dinner? Must have been Torchy's Tacos where our guests said the tacos were some of the best they've had) we came home and snuggled under Mom's quilts, put in a movie and gobbled up our treats from the Silo Bakery.  

No comments:

Post a Comment