Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Ward Campout: Fall 2017

Someone told me about a place that might let our church group camp in their "wilderness area" by the lake for free. Wilderness meaning: The camp doesn't maintain this part of the campgrounds anymore. There's no running water, no tables at the campsites, no flushing toilets so...bring your own everything. In exchange for the free night we did trash pick-up around the area and added new lumber to the cinderblock seats.
Our friend Lex took on the job of scouting out the location and setting things up. He even went a day early to do some weed whacking so the tent areas would be inhabitable. (By taking on a lot of the responsibilities of our most recent activities, he's been a blessing to me personally. I haven't had to ask...and I'm not even sure he knew at the time I needed the help to the extent that I did. So in the off-chance that you read this Lex, thank you, and by now you know why!) 

And it turned out the area wasn't nearly as rough as we were expecting. There were tables and seating and a huge fire pit in the common area. I brought two large 10 gallon water jugs and sat them up on a folding table next to the pit potties and we were set with a washing station. Everyone brought their own firewood to contribute and toilet paper. Not bad at all. 

Below: We had flooding a few years ago. You can see how far up the lake water came and how low it is now.

About 9 families showed—a small gathering, but after posting photos on the church Facebook page, if we do it again, I hope there will be more. (With the lack of amenities listed on the invitation, I think it scared some people off.) But those who came enjoyed themselves...I think. I know the kids did.
We invited our friends Lee, Jamison and kids too. And I'm glad they were up for spending some time with us and a bunch of strangers. It was good to see them!

The next morning Lex and Nick cooked breakfast for everyone!  (These guys deserve an award. They ALWAYS end up at the grill at our church activities.)

It was a short stay but still nice to sit around and chat with everyone.

Before we left, I even found some plants to take home and make an arrangement out of. (Of course all the kids wanted me to cut some for them...so the foraging took WAY longer than it should have. I'm so sorry Jamison! You probably felt ditched that morning! I owe you.)
And there's another activity for the books. Whew!

No comments:

Post a Comment