Tuesday, April 17, 2018

M&H in Dallas and the Perot Museum

Breadwinners: This restaurant food is completely delicious and a total favorite of mine. Though there is one close to us in Fort Worth, I enjoy eating at the Dallas location...it's all about the atmosphere for me. I'm glad Michael and Hayden picked this spot for our last breakfast together.
 Isn't it beautiful? The ambiance is perfect for brunching. I love this giant fiddle fig tree in the middle.
 Hayden had stuffed french toast, same deliciousness as she devoured last year.
Michael had banana bread (it was more like cake) french toast. Wow.
Adam sticks to his usual breakfast foods of eggs and potatoes. They do breakfast potatoes right at this place.
And I had the bananas foster with caramel sauce. Goodness! (Do you see those little muffin cake slices...yeah, those are free appetizers. Who wouldn't want to dine here?!)
We can see this large modern building from the freeway in Dallas, and I've always wanted to get a closer look. Michael and Hayden were up for the adventure. So we bought tickets and toured the Perot Museum of Nature and Science. Hayden got a discount because she works for the school district back home. Score!

Below: These balls move up when you walk under them and then back down again when you pass. Think of all the mischievous fun we must have had.... 
 Hayden excelled at flying.
Adam punches the lit buttons, trying to beat Hayden's score.
 Anna and Hayden race against an ancient water dinosaur (sorry, can't remember the name.) I'm sure the creature won.
One of the more interesting fossils I've seen are pictured below, called Crinoids or Sea Lilies. Early Permian, 284-276 million years ago. Collected in Australia. "Ancient Crinoids attached to the ocean floor with their stalks. They unfurled their amazing arms to capture tiny marine life."
The blocks on this display continually rotate to produce a flat animated image, mimicking anything in front of it.
This museum is a fun place! There are a lot of interactive things for everyone to do and experiment with. I was impressed! We had a good time.
For my part, I was enthralled upon discovering the gemstone and mineral exhibit. The colors and textures were incredibly interesting to look at. And of course when everything is backlit inside a black box, they look that much more beautiful. 

 See the little man in the cave?



  Below: Calcite Cave Pearls.


 Below: The Ausrox Gold Nugget, 3rd largest in the world and tips the scale at 51.29 lbs. "This treasure found in the Eastern Gold Field of Australia, was discovered by three prospectors using a metal detector. While the bullion value of the nugget is substantial, the size and rarity of the Ausrox Nugget combine to make its worth invaluable in the collector market." https://www.perotmuseum.org/about-us/newsroom/index.html?year=2017 
After leaving the museum we had dinner at Lockhart, and then ate treats and played cards at Howdy Homemade Ice Cream until it was time to leave our friends/family at the airport. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment