Monday, April 23, 2018

NYC.2 Day 1

Guess who wanted to take another trip to NYC! Jamison! In a last ditch effort to get a vacation to the city—like FOUR weeks before her baby arrived—we did it!
After a long day of travel we went to Burger & Lobster for dinner.

And people. This $30 lobster burger just about made me cry. I was so hungry and so looking forward to being in the city again and this was so stinking' GOOD. It was worth it.
Lobster meat on a 6oz beef burger, Swiss cheese & truffle mayo. We ordered truffle creme friache on the side for the fries. Mwah. 
I think we both felt it was our favorite meal of the trip.


We walked around a bit after, looking for one of the holiday markets. New York during the Christmas season truly got me in the spirit! Free ice skating and decorated trees everywhere.
If Jamison and I were to send out a Christmas card together...this would be the shot I'd choose. Ha!

We walked up and down the Winter Village at Bryant Park. (Like a pop-up shopping center in the middle of the park where you can find one-of-a-kind items, handmade items, specialty goods etc. There are a few locations around the city.)
I found a hand juicer made of olive wood to bring home.


Then of course we slurped up Jacques Torres famous hot chocolate. 

Whoah that stuff was THICK and rich. Almost like drinking hot pudding. 

Enter: warm giant cookie as well. 
My blood sugar was probably on overdrive. 

We took our drinks and got in line for the Christmas Spectacular!


 The stage and auditorium in Radio City Music Hall is IMPRESSIVE and HUGE.
P.S. I'd put this shot below on the back of the holiday card. 

Radio City Hall utilized the entire space and projected images onto the walls and ceiling. The show included all kind of numbers done by the Rockettes, and a Santa story (you should have heard all the kids squealing bout Santa when came into the room. I don't think any of them stayed sitting down. THAT was magical.) Also, a 3-D show and Nativity.

The Rockettes were impressive but the nativity made the biggest impression on me. They had live animals walking across stage behind a scrim and lit the scenes in a way that gave the set a painted chiaroscuro quality. It was quite beautiful. And it made me emotional. I think the stranger next to me was crying too. I hadn't even suspected for a minute that this would be part of the show and they handled it with such reverence. It makes me joyful that Christ is still such a huge part of a New York City Christmas production.

Below: The end of the Nativity story. See how they used the ceiling?
Image from https://dailytheology.org/2014/12/27/the-scandal-of-one-solitary-life/
Below: The Rockettes famous toy soldier fall. 
Image from: http://www.wikiwand.com/en/Christmas_Spectacular_Starring_the_Radio_City_Rockettes 
 Again, using the large space these manually driven snowflakes floated out and above the audience.
Image from http://studenttravelplanningguide.com/radio-city-christmas-spectacular-entertain-enlightens-school-groups/
If you're in New York during the winter, I think this is a must see at least once in your lifetime. And from what I saw, also a really great experience if you have kids for sure!

Then we walked around a bit more to see Christmas lights. Above is the Rockefeller tree and below we watched a light show to music at Sacs Fifth.

And also enjoyed looking at some elaborate window displays. 





Then we finished the night back at the hotel with a special treat. One of Jamison's absolute favorites. She'd been craving it all year. Don't worry, we had more the next day too.
SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment