Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Summer Trip: Idaho Family Reunion

A few days after I arrived in California, we drove out to Twin Falls, Idaho for a family reunion—Mom's side. Part of the activity included a service project for grandma. The melting snow around her house has caused flooding in her basement. So we dug trenches, and built up the space around her house with dirt and rock—using shovels and buckets—so the melting snow would flow away from the house.
 It was hard work. And took a long time. And it was hot.
 The kids enjoyed playing in the dirt and rock piles and got filthy. Who can blame them?
 But they also did try to help too.
Mo was definitely an asset.
After that we went to the canyon for reunion activities...


...which always include a Hakka. My grandpa (who has passed) went to New Zealand on a mission for our church when he was a young man. Then later, in retirement, he and my grandma (second from the left) returned to serve another mission as a couple. My uncle also went there on his mission as a young man (he's the one with the war paint). So....that's where the tradition comes from.

Unfortunately...I had become overheated from the yard work that day and never was really able to cool off enough to participate in most of the activities during the hot afternoon. Sorry Sally! I even soaked my shirt in water from the bathroom faucet a few times to help, but I felt a little sick all day.
Luckily there was an ice cold stream to put my feet in which did help, but I didn't discover it until later.


When the Hakka was over...everyone took off! Since Hayden and Michael came in the same car we stuck around a bit to do a little exploring and picture taking before going back to the hotel. 
Then the next day on a whim we stopped to walk up to the Canyon rim before driving back to California. It was awesome. 
We watched as several base jumpers went off the Perrine Bridge over River. It was pretty awesome. I'd do it.

Regrets: I didn't get many photos of family. None of Dwynne (who I enjoyed rooming with, thanks Sis!) and none of Natalie...how? Bummmmmmmerrrrr. Sorry guys.





SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment