Fentons is a . . . shall we say "nostalgic" place for many. Including Dad. He used to hang out at Fentons as a teen. (Trivia....Fentons appeared in the movie UP) Currently There are only TWO locations: The original at 4226 Piedmont Ave. in Oakland and the second just opened in Vacaville (at the Nut Tree)—so OF COURSE we had to stop in on our way back from the coast—it's right off the freeway!Dad says their chocolate sauce is better than his. As many of you know, that is saying A LOT. He usually orders the Black and White.There used to be a Fentons in Placerville. And yes, I did hang out there as a teen too. I always ordered the Saddle Back Brownie. And I did so again, for tradition sake. Yes, there is a huge brownie buried under all that ice cream. So goooooood.The portions are HUGER than HUGE. Four people could easily eat one serving. But since some of the group had never been, we decided to enjoy the total experience—which includes going bug eyed when you see the waiter walk out with your order and realize, you should have shared.In the end, we did our best. Man oh man was that a lot of ice cream. Looks like Dad was the only one to finish!Upon leaving Fentons I noticed some fun playthings outside. I can only blame our silliness on the effects of sugar and nostalgia—a good mix.
If you are ever in the Vacaville area GO TO FENTONS. And after, walk outside and play! There are giant sized rocking horses, giant chess and checkers, giant rocking chairs around a fire—all sorts of things for adults and kids. GO GO GO!
p.s. If you are ever at the Oakland international airport....a shop in terminal two will serve you up a couple of scoops of Fenton's ice cream, lucky!












A Fenton's in Placerville?? I don't remember an ice cream store by that name... I remember Leatherby's.... it was on the corner of Main Street and Pacific Street (Hwy 49)... Right next to the post office and fire department. Same place you are thinking of???
ReplyDeleteOkay okay, if you wanna get technical....
ReplyDeleteAlthough it served Fentons Ice cream, I know the diner that carried the ice cream went by a different name. I think you are right, it probably was Leatherby's (I can't remember, I can double check with Dad.)Wierd huh? That a Leatherby's would be carrying ice cream from another creamery. I wonder what the thinking was behind that....
It's a Mel's now. I think it was called Fentons...why else would Dad be attracted to it?
ReplyDeleteFun post, Anna. LOVE the little cars.
Yes it is Mel's now and it did used to be a Fenton's for a short while. All of us from the bay area were real excited and went to it. I don't know what happened but it was gone after a while. Man I need an excuse to go to Vacaville and have a black and tan. Yum.
ReplyDeleteSherry Hulbert
Must have been short lived if it was in the same place as Mel's! We had a Leatherby's for years across the street from where Mel's is.... many childhood birthdays there! Placerville totally needs one of those ice cream stores again.... Cold Stone is good, but just not the same :) Your pictures make me crave a sundae!!
ReplyDelete