I just finished the 2nd cake decorating course at Micheal's. We learned a few new borders, but mostly flowers. I completely misunderstood and had a cake ready for the first class....but alas, we didn't need one. So as soon as I got home I decorated my cake with my newly learned rose buds.
Cake 4: Sour cream pound cake with an orange custard filling and orange flavored frosting.
This is the same cake recipe we used for our wedding cake. (Only, we put lemon glaze on each slice and a helping of fresh cut strawberries. It was so good! There was NO cake left at the end of the night.)
Class 2 and 3: We learned all about royal frosting and practiced several flowers.
This frosting gets hard as a rock. Which means you can make several flowers in advance and keep them until you are ready to decorate your cake. I came home and used up all my frosting and made a ton of these little pretties.
Cake 5: Same sour cream pound cake. I marbled it with chocolate this time, and put cherry pie filling in the center.
We learned how to use color flow (which helps your frosting dry smooth I think) and created birds in class. I came home and decided I wanted mushrooms instead. (Since the trip to the Redwoods I have shrooms on the mind.) So here is my last cake, shrooms, blossoms, and a basket weave which took forever!The week after next I start course 3, fondant and gum paste! Whoopee!!






Wow. These look really great. You have a real talent for this. The mushrooms are my favorite. And are you baking these cakes, too? They sound divine. Recipes please.
ReplyDeletePS// Justin says you are busted for not saying hello while you were here.
Wow, these are amazing Anna!! Look forward to seeing what you create in the next class! :)
ReplyDeleteWow! I love your cakes! And I love the picture with all of the flowers in the boxes. Very pretty. That last cake is awesome! My sister-in-law is about to take the second cake course. I'm about to take re-upholstering! I'm scared and excited;)
ReplyDeleteThese are great! That weaving is incredible! I have always wanted to take a cake decorating class. For now it's fun to live vicariously through you! Good job!
ReplyDeletecuteness, anna, as always
ReplyDeleteSo, when it comes time in my household for a wedding cake, you're up for it, right? Not to mention invitations, decorations, dress advice, and, hmm, what else is there? You know I'm counting on you!
ReplyDeleteThe cakes look awesome!
ReplyDeleteAnna! I hope you don't mind I take peeks at your blog! (Rachel has a link to it from her blog). You are SO amazing and I just love seeing what you put together! I'm actually taking the Wilton cake decorating classes right now too! I will be starting the third class next month, hopefully. You are a natural! I'm so impressed!
ReplyDelete