Saturday, November 30, 2013

Turkey Day Turned Rib Day

It was just us this year with Adam's oldest sister. We did nothing fancy but concentrated on the food instead. I got all the shopping done a week ahead of time (I love it when I don't procrastinate!) And food prep started a day before and the morning of…it was truly a stress free day.

We like turkey but we've never had an AMAZING turkey dish—so we decided to eat something we could get a little more excited about. We decided on ribs—surprisingly enough we've never made them before.
I know, I know…posting pictures of thanksgiving food on a plate is soooooo cliche…and even worse when it's not styled. But hey. I want to remember what we ate so here we go.
• Tamarind Baby Back ribs - from Food and Wine AMAZING. Recipe Here.
• Sweet and Spicey Coleslaw - again, pretty good! Recipe Here.
• Corn on the cob
• Baked Sweet Potatoes with browned butter marshmallow sauce for the Mr and Sister.
• 20 Minute Buttery Rolls (I don't know how they got that name, they take more like an hour and a half)
• Strawberry Pretzel Salad - another tradition for the Mr and Sister which consequently I really like too.
• And a multi flavored root beer pack to choose from.

Dessert included your choice of
• English Apple Pie with sweetened cream. Recipe Here.
• Coconut cream pie with pat in the pan shortbread crust.

What are we thankful for this year? Adam mentioned a good job. As did his sister. Yes. We are very grateful for jobs. Without them so much would be different. And it's nice to have a job that we can "stand". And I recently I have been feeling thankful for good teachers in my past—and good examples I have to look up to in my present. These things help shape us and I am grateful.

So….we ate. We watched a couple of Christmas movies, had dessert and then sent Sister home with a ton of leftovers. (Who consequently couldn't thank us enough for doing ribs instead of turkey, score!) Later Adam said he couldn't help with the dishes because his stomach wouldn't allow his arms to reach the sink! Bah hah! So we did clean-up the next day.

1 comment:

  1. How fun! mmmm... ribs :) Your dinner sounds SO TASTY!! We almost skipped the traditional turkey this year until we were in the grocery store and they were just sitting there calling out to Brian's hungry stomach! :) And what a great idea to document what you had for dinner.... I always forget where I put the recipes and end up digging around for them!! :)

    ReplyDelete